Subject: RE: [ubl-lcsc] [code lists] drafct of section to put in document ation - for comment

At 2003-10-29 15:30 +0100, Stuhec, Gunther wrote:
>the CCTS describes clearly, how we can define code lists in general
>(internal and external).

Could you please cite document, chapter and verse where this is found?

>We, in UBL have the possibility (better we have the golden opportunity) to
>put this definition into unambigous XML based naming and design rules.
>There are accepted rules from NDRSC for defining code list schemas, which
>are 100% conform to the CCTS.
>
>This rules allows everyone to define his own codelist uniquely and
>everyone can use this codelists in their UBL-schemas without any
>modifications and restrictions.
>
>The members in the UN/CEFACT ATG2 are willingness to using the same rules
>for defining code lists schema. If that accepted, than the most of the
>other groups will use this rules. Why shouldn't we go this direction, too?

I haven't yet seen a demonstration of how these code lists can be used
"without any modifications and restrictions".  Early in September I created
straw-man validation scenarios where these issues were being addressed:

At 2003-09-08 23:34 -0400, I wrote:
>Gunther, I think our document is to the point now where you will be able
>to add your "union of two code lists in different namespaces" suggestions
>in NDRSC in concert with our proposed methodology.
>
>Please take the time to critique "Straw-man 2" and make your suggestions
>for improvements ... we need to know if this is going to work as desired
>(do you agree with the tests that I've demonstrated?) ... without any
>changes we can see the beginning of the end of the code list task group effort.
>
>If anyone in NDRSC or LCSC can make early comments before we finish, it
>would help us better now than after we deliver.  I won't be hurt or
>disappointed if you can improve on this, so please don't be shy.

No suggestions were put forward at that time regarding changes to the
straw-man implementations, and as a result the remainder of the work the
past two months has been based on the work in early September.

Would you please demonstrate the successful "use of arbitrary code lists
without any modifications and restrictions" in a working validation
scenario using off-the-shelf W3C Schema tools using existing UBL schemas
and arbitrary external code lists?  This was the objective of the straw-man
and the basis of the work upon which the last eight weeks has been based.

Thanks for your help in this!

--
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-01-??
Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc