Subject: [Fwd: Re: quote in spreadsheets and schemas]

 From Ken's reply it appears we will have tpo manually detect and
correct the 'smart quotes' that excel likes to put into the text fields.
So this action item is open again.
Given that this is not a specific PSC issue it should be disposed of
when we do the proofing and editing of all the models.

--- Begin Message ---
Good morning, Tim!  I'm in the Seattle area at an ISO meeting this week.

At 2009-09-15 13:01 +0200, you wrote:
>we are working on the Issues list for UBL 2.1 and came upon
>
>>   I had a problem trying to generate JAXB Bindings for OASIS UBLv2
>> (http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/#ublv2.0) in the Netbeans IDE
>> (version 6.5 rc2). The problem is with some quoted strings, in
>> some strings the quoting is done with opening and closing double
>> quotes with an hexadecimal encoding of E2 80 9C and E2 80 9D,
>> while in the rest of the UBL documents hexa 22 is used for a
>> straight double quote.
>>     The three byte quotes seems to be valid UTF-8 since they are
>> displayed with the proper glyph in other text editors, and people
>> from the ubl-dev list confirmed this. But I'm getting an error
>> "unmappable character for encoding UTF-8" and the offending
>> strings are displayed as: ?VISA?, ?MasterCard?, etc. in the error
>> output window in Netbeans.

Java is really finicky about character sets.  I'm not a Java
programmer, but somehow the user has to "turn on" UTF-8 encoding for
character strings.

>>    The problem seems to appear only within CommonAggregateComponents-2,
>>in CardAccountType and CountryType. After suggestion from a ubl-dev
>>list member, I tried with the runtime xsdrt in
>>(http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/xsdrt/) and the problem
>>dissappeared.

Right, because the documentary bits are removed from xsdrt components.

>i recall we talked about fixing the quate marks in the
>sreadsheets.  did that get done?

I guess not ... I still see smart quotes being used in NetworkID and
CardCodeType and Country/Name, but not anywhere else.  Perhaps these
were last-minute edits that were overlooked.

--
Upcoming hands-on code list, UBL, XSLT, XQuery and XSL-FO classes.
Interested in other classes?  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/i/