ubl-security message

Subject: Re: [ubl-security] E-archiving UBL documents with external attachments

Hi Pim,

I think every country has its laws, but the most common law in EU about
archiving is about storing the view of the document (see PDF/A-1)

I do not know many other formats sanctioned for legal archiving.

Pratically every Nation should endorse a new format of archiving before
using it legally.

The general archiving of course is always possible, but one should be able
to reproduce a stable view of the document for the Authorities, so why
PDF/A-1 is enough adopted.

I personally think PDF/A-1 is an "old" archiving format today as we are
more required to store a structured document than a raster or PDF graphic
chunks.
Maybe PDF/A-2 is in this direction... but I would like to see UBL endorsed
for legal archiving around the globe (with a shared methodology)

The PEPPOL VCD (Virtual Company Dossier) has some involvments with these
attachments and reference problems, maybe you could share with them some
of your thoughts.

Technically you could add a PDF/A-1 version into an UBL document inside an
UBLExtension, but again this practice should be endorsed by the relevant
Authorities.

As Governments are moving to Open Source I believe OpenDocument represent
a good sample for solving the archiving issue.

But UBL is a structured document and I am not aware of existing specific
methodologies to archive structured business documents.

So my final suggestion is to follow the VCD project as it will be endorsed
in all EU.

Best regards

Roberto Cisternino

--
* JAVEST by Roberto Cisternino
*

  Roberto Cisternino

  mobile: +39 328 2148123 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +39
328 2148123      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
  skype:  roberto.cisternino.ubl-itlsc

[UBL Technical Committee]
    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl

[UBL Online Community]