ubl-ttsc message

Subject: [ubl-ttsc] SourceForge information and recommendation

As a co-owner of the TTSC "code management" issue, I wanted to report on
what I found out from Norm about SourceForge.

It's used for the "source code" (schemas, DTDs, stylesheets and XML source
for documents) for DocBook, Catalog, and for some of RELAX NG (all are
OASIS TCs).  Norm uses the revision control, bug tracking, and release
control features, which he finds provide for enough metadata storage to get
the job done.  You have to be made a member of a project
(password-protected) in order to change files.

Underneath is CVS, which of course isn't XML-enabled but does a pretty good
job of diff-tracking otherwise.  CVS doesn't lock files, though it does
attempt to do intelligent merging if two people have checked something
out.  Also note that CVS doesn't handle storing and diffing of binary files
such as .doc very well (a reason for us to be producing our specs in XML or
at least XHTML!).

(Norm mentioned that he's still working on making his "diffmk" XML-enabled
differencing program a web service...)

A note about the issue of storing specifications on SourceForge.  Norm
doesn't "publish" final-HTML-form specifications (which he generates from
XML) out of SourceForge because it seems inappropriate to usurp OASIS's
role in this.  I would tend to agree.  This would mean a split in where we
store stuff, though, and it adds a bit of a management burden.  I've copied
Karl Best for his reaction: Karl, how would you feel about our providing
links from our "Documents" section to a SourceForge page that actually
offers the document for download?

Finally, one more point and another question for Karl: SourceForge itself
was the first project of SourceForge, and that means it's available to be
installed and used elsewhere!  Is there any chance that OASIS might
consider hosting a SourceForge site from oasis-open.org?

My recommendation would be that we go ahead and use SourceForge for at
least schemas, stylesheets, tools, and other code-y stuff, and also use its
issue-tracking feature (which was a B-priority item).  It's well used and
well proven, and I don't see any other obvious choice that meets our
criteria for being Internet-based and offering access control.  However, if
Dave (the other co-owner of the code management issue) has other thoughts,
I defer...

	Eve