ubl-ttsc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-ttsc] Re: [ubl] Use cases (UBL compliance)

** Reply to message from Ray Seddigh <RaySeddigh100@yahoo.com> on Thu, 08 Jan
2004 02:41:27 -0800

I'm still away in Oz, but watching the list as best I can.

> - If one were to adhere to the spirit of making UBL documents readable
> by both humans and machines, then translatability of tags would make
> millions of UBL components and documents human readable, and programs
> more easily debuggable. Making computing artifacts human readable is a
> prized desideratum, as borne out from decades of useful experience with
> SGML, LISP, and many other computing models.

As a general rule, I oppose anglocentrism in international standards.  However,
I have never yet supported the concept multiple language versions of XML
element/attribute names for any specification I have worked on.  Why?  Well,
for a start, it makes applications harder to debug.  Sure, if you stay within a
single language region, you might find local language versions of
element/attribute names help debugging, but as soon as you cross a language
border, life just gets much harder.  Application producers may not support all
language versions of the element/attribute names, since although it seems easy
to a programmer to make the names configurable, it increases the amount of
testing required.  You have to redo the same tests for every new language, and
also test that every language-to-language conversion works.  Lots of companies
just cannot afford this expense.

So, allowing the element/attribute names to be localised would do little more
than add to the existing barriers of trade across international borders.  For
my part, I wouldn't support localised versions of XML element/attribute names
until the day arrives that XML parsers and validators support such
localisation.  At the time, the cost of supporting localised element/attribute
names would become greatly reduced, and support by application developers might
be feasible.  For the moment, though, I don't think UBL should try to be in
advance of XML itself when it comes to localised element/attribute names.

	Cheers,
		Tony.
====
Anthony B. Coates
London Market Systems Limited
33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR
http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
mailto:abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
[MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/]
[FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language), http://www.fpml.org/]
This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material and is intended for the use of the addressee only.
Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply  facility in your e-mail software.
Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please request a hard copy. Unless otherwise stated any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not represent those of London Market Systems Limited.