ubl message

Subject: [ubl] Creation of TC vice chair position

A resolution passed by the UBL TC at its plenary held 1 November
2001 was recorded in the minutes as follows (the note in brackets
is from the minutes):

   4. That the TC shall create a position for a Vice-chair of the
      TC.  [The TC did not actually adopt specific language on
      this subject or specify the duties of the Vice-chair; this
      needs to be filled out when a Vice-chair is actually
      proposed and should probably be considered just an action
      item at this point].

I believe that the best person for the position of TC vice chair
would be Mark Crawford, currently the editor of the Naming and
Design Rules SC.  Mark's position in the EDI standards world and
his co-chairmanship of the Joint X12/EWG Core Components
initiative make him, in my opinion, the perfect person for this
role.  I've asked Mark whether his management will support him in
this position, and he has confirmed that they will.

This should have been followed up on several weeks ago, but
travel and a hell of a cold made me lose track of how close we're
getting to the holiday break.  I think we have just enough time to
wrap this up before we all disappear for the holidays, but maybe
not.  It depends on whether anyone else is interested in the
position (in which case we should hold a real election) and
whether I can come up with a description of the role that will
suit everyone well enough to hold us until we might discuss this
further in the meeting we're holding 22-25 January 2002.

The most important function of the vice chair would appear to be

   (1) To serve as chair pro tem. of the TC in event of the
       chair's absence.

To this it seems useful to add

   (2) To participate in the Marketing, Liaison, and
       Administration Subcommittees (these are the ones run by the
       TC chair) as a member ex officio.

I'm going to toss this out into the ether for 48 hours just to see
whether it looks like I can take a chance on this and submit it to
you for the usual five-day review starting Wednesday.  So two
questions for everyone:

    - Does anyone else want to run for vice chair?  (Don't
      hesitate to speak up if you really want the job.  We can
      hold an election after the break if we need to.)

    - Do the two points above look like enough to carry the
      description of the role of vice chair until we have a chance
      to talk about this at the meeting?  Does anyone have
      anything to add to the list of duties for the moment?

Jon