ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Global vs. Local -- Gunther's Recommendation

----- Original Message -----
From: <robert.shanbaum@gerbercoburn.com>

> Please forgive the ignorance my question betrays, but I'm new to this.
>
> Am I reading that globally-defined elements must for some reason have unique
> tags (such as "BuyerID" which would lead to a more fully-qualified names
> like "BuyerParty/BuyerID"), and that locally-defined ones would allow the
> use of more "generic" identifiers such as "ID" and "BuyerParty/ID"?

In XSD, a global element  has a scope of the entire targetNamespace.  Whereas,
local elements (similar to OO members) are scoped to the complexType (class),
thus requiring qualified element names unless the same element name with the
same type can be used across several complexType definitions.

> Coming from an OO background, this seems rather retrograde.  I can't
> represent in an XML schema, a "Party" class from which "Buyer" and "Seller"
> alike can descend?

Although you can do this for either local or globally defined element names,
whatever element names used by the Party superclass are inherited (qualified or
unqualified names) by all subclasses.