ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Naming of the Order Response document type

Tim McGrath wrote:

> my take on this is that the questioner has confused message
> acknowledgement with acceptance of an offer to sell goods.  I think we
> are safer to avoid the term acknowledgement in our document titles -
> just to make it clear these are not a message acknowledgements.  I
> think the fact an Order Response can be a de-facto acknowledgement is
> simply a feature of the communications stack, i.e. "/if i am sending
> you a response i must have received your message/", but this
> acknowledgement is implied not explicit.

This is generally true. Acts of consent (reach the mind) is more
relevant than acknowledge of receipt (reach the desk).

> The first document type is what we know as an Order Response Simple
> and could perhaps be called Order Acceptance. The problem we had with
> this is that sometimes we use this document to reject an Order - so
> the title is confusing.  however, having read the CISG, i suggest (for
> UBL 1.1) we make Order Acceptance an alternative Business Term for
> Order Response Simple (we also currently have Order Acknowledgement
> and PO Response as synonyms).

The TC should then also consider to add Order Rejection as alternative
business term.

Looking att the Spreadsheet for OrderSimple and definition of
AcceptedIndicator:
"indicates whether the order was accepted (true) or not (false)."

I suggest to change it to ...

"indicates whether the order was accepted (true) or rejected (false)."

since "not accepted" may not neccessary mean rejection.

On  a personal note I prefer two messages for Acceptance, Rejection. it
makes the offer-acceptance intentions much clearer. Response is usually
too generic to be part of anything else than query reponse pattern naming..
Another preferable alternative is to use the "positive" name of a binary
message. In this case OrderAcceptance.

> The latter document type is what we would call an Order Response and
> could be called Counteroffer Order.  I am not sure that is a common
> use of the term but we could add it as another synonym to this
> document type if enough people feel it is worthwhile.

It is recommended to make clear that it is a new offer and that the
"previous" Offer is Rejected. Adding a merger clause is also a good
idea, that specifies that all prev. Orders are merged into the last new
offer.

/anders

--
/ Business Collaboration Toolsmiths /