ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Naming of the Order Response document type

> McGrath: The first document type is what we know as an Order Response
> Simple and could perhaps be called Order Acceptance. The problem we
> had with this is that sometimes we use this document to reject an
> Order - so the title is confusing.  however, having read the CISG, i
> suggest (for UBL 1.1) we make Order Acceptance an alternative Business
> Term for Order Response Simple (we also currently have Order
> Acknowledgement and PO Response as synonyms).

mm1: To me (and a question to Anders), it is somewhat counter-intuitive
that we see a partial order fulfillment as a counter offer. If the
parties have defined that they allow that in their business process, is
it not just stating what can be fulfilled by the party (seller for
example)?  Another example would be a blanket purchase order where you
have a release and that is only a partial fulfillment of the blanket
[1]. Would the only case that applies for a counter offer is when the
parties do not (in their defined process) allow for partial order
fulfillment or rejection? This happens in business every day.

In addition, a party has the capability to either accept or reject an
order. In business, that does not seem to indicate that rejection is a
counter-offer? Anders, can you articulate what differences in format
what you call an Order Acceptance or Rejection would be, if any?

Can we get an explanation that helps us marry daily business operations
with any legal expectations [2]. Thanks.

[1] That is not a counter-offer.
[2] Recognizing that this may suggest changes of either to support the
other.