ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] rewriting schemas

Bryan

This is now scheduled for review (between
now and September). Not everyone has
accepted the need to use this particular
means to provide versioning. However,
for customisation the rule does not strictly
speaking apply and UBL's NDR was designed
on the principle that it would provide for
this kind of polymorphism with XSD
derivation. It just happens that when, in
April, our ad hoc working group looked at
how this could work, the substitution group
(non-abstract) methodology was the only
means that could be demonstrated as valid.
It works too for versioning but versioning is
the main use for which an agreement is still
being sought. For customization we do have
an unfulfilled promise to outline a working
mechanism (due, if at all, by the end of
October) but in the meantime the 'how' is left
to the customizing party, outside of UBL.

Admittedly there are other methods for
customizing (at least one example already
exists in production) than to use just XSD
derivation, imports and the non-abstract
substitution groups with elements. But I
don't see anything wrong with encouraging
customizers to follow the approach we've
so far most thoroughly researched, proven
and most strongly recommended. Doing so
would probably preserve the most
interoperability across the board, I think.
It may be especially important when seeking
to keep customisations updated in line with
minor versions (if the same approach is used
for these): as yet I haven't seen any
demonstration of any alternative approach working
for customisation of a minor version but I
have demonstrated that the above approach works
with this.

All the best

Stephen Green