ubl message

Subject: SV: [ubl] Discussion of substitution groups

Hmm, looking over this mail I realized I should probably specify that what I
was thinking about were the types as instantiated, i.e. actual elements in
an instance somewhere. I got somewhat heated up and did not write clearly as
a result.

Regards
Bryan Rasmussen

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Bryan Rasmussen
Sendt: 19. juli 2005 15:00
Til: 'CRAWFORD, Mark'
Cc: 'ubl@lists.oasis-open.org'
Emne: SV: [ubl] Discussion of substitution groups

>> That said, as I've argued before, substitution groups are not
>> as extensible a mechanism as use of xsd:any.

>Sure.  Lets have two types in UBL.  Any and Thing with unlimited content
>models.  Very extensible - and totally useless for setting STANDARDS.

This is of course far different from having x very specific types with clear
meanings that must be present and must be handled, y specific types with
clear meanings that might be present and must be handled if present, and 1
type that  contains unknown content that must be ignored if not understood
and can be handled if understood, and that has some strictly defined
attributes to inform any application as to the domain and origin of the not
understood content.

Regards
Bryan Rasmussen