ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Atlantic UBL TC call 23 November 2005

MINUTES OF ATLANTIC UBL TC MEETING
16H00 - 18H00 UTC WEDNESDAY 23 NOVEMBER 2005

ATTENDANCE

   Peter Borresen
   Jon Bosak (chair)
   Marty Burns
   Mavis Cournane
   Stephen Green
   Mike Grimley
   Betty Harvey
   Andy Schoka
   Paul Thorpe
   Sylvia Webb

STANDING ITEMS

   Additions to the calendar:
      http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/calendar.htm

      None.

   Subcommittee and team updates to Pacific call status reports

      None.

   Review of Pacific and Europe/Asia calls

      No comments.

   Schedule review

      JB: It's still possible that we can start the initial review
      before Xmas, but it's going to be tight.

CODE LISTS

   JB: For future reference, the decisions we made in Ottawa can
   be found at

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200508/msg00042.html
      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200508/msg00060.html

   This is still the plan of record.

   SW: MB appears to be proposing that we replace the UBL 1.0
   format for enumerated code lists with a different one.

   JB: What's the difference?

   MB: The 1.0 CL format was not extensible using substitution
   groups or redefines.  The proposed format does not require
   substitution groups, but it does allow their use while still
   providing all of the features desired by the TC.

   JB: We've decided that we're not going to use substitution
   groups for code lists and minor versioning, but I don't think
   we decided that we weren't going to let anyone else use them.

   MB: The basic principle is this: substitution groups and
   redefines must derive from a common base type.  UBL 1.0 had no
   identifier at all and had content types with actual
   enumerations.  The proposal is to make the basic simple type a
   union of normalized string and enumeration.  OAGIS 9 uses the
   same approach.

   JB: Any structural problem with this approach?

   MG: We have a rule against using union; that would have to
   change.

   ACTION: NDR editors to investigate the implications of MB's
   proposal and report back to the TC next week with a summary of
   the arguments pro and con and (we hope) a recommendation.

   JB: Note that we will have to decide as a matter of policy
   whether we want to allow the application of substitution groups
   by users.

   SW: The evaluation of MB's proposal will have to include a look
   and how adoption will impact our decision to adopt ATG schemas
   and answer the question of how we create the QDT using the
   genericode approach.

SMALL BUSINESS SUBSET

   JB: We are in receipt of the revised UBL 1.0 Small Business Subset:

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200511/msg00082.html

   ACTION: TC to review the proposed SBS and be ready to start
   balloting next week.

ACTION ITEM REVIEW

   ACTION: MB to talk to PB and see if Denmark can help out with
   business process for input to ebBP.