ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Draft 2.0 Schemas with Currency Codes edited to unions

At 2005-12-07 14:18 -0500, Burnsmarty@aol.com wrote:
>No worries!

Thanks!

>The UBL committee is supporting the validation method via Schematron
>you are working on. I am trying to make sure that users of UBL
>schemas (as you say trading partners) are free to
>redefine/substitution group/ or schematron as their hearts or minds direct.

Okaaaaaaayyyyyyy......

>I understand the committee to be going down the path of providing
>the schematron to users to illustrate how to validate using that
>method. I don't know if the group has settled on what documents,
>schemas, xml files, are to be normative to UBL and which will be informative.

Oh, if we follow through with what I've started, then we've decided
to make it a Committee Specification so that it can be pointed to by
others who wish to follow a similar approach, and pointed to by
trading partners as how to engage such requirements in their
agreements if they choose to.

So it isn't normative to the definition of UBL2 schemas, but it will
be normative for those who choose to use it in conjunction with UBL1
or UBL2 (or, I posit, any system supporting code lists however
defined in whatever schema language).

>The examples I provided in the past showed how to extend or restrict
>the schemas.

I didn't see in the examples subdirectory how the extensions or
restrictions were accomplished.  Are such approaches done without
touching the published UBL schemas?  I'd like to be reassured that
the schemas are untouched, because they really are sacrosanct and
could indeed be flagged as read-only in systems to ensure they are
not overwritten.

Can you point to where you posted the earlier examples?  (sorry for
the extra effort)

>This exercise for me was only to show that the underlying schema
>didn't break anything in UBL2.

I think Tony brought to light a concern in my mind that removing
enumeration validation is breaking something valuable that we
had.  Though I'll let others determine that as the supplemental value
validation works wether or not the schema value validation works ...
I've just portrayed in my current draft that trading partners would
use schema value validation to reject instances with nonsensical
values before using Schematron to examine those meaningful values
that are or are not permitted.

Indeed the concept of extending enumerated lists is supported by your
method, which is something that my methodology wouldn't support if it
relied on UBL schemas that enumerated values, but does it make sense
for UBL to claim that an information item is (for example) an
ISO-approved currency value and then allow users to use a value that
isn't in the ISO list?

What would the interaction of this approach mean to CCTS conformance
(and I'm speaking a bit out of my hat here because I'm not too clear
on what that means myself)?  Here I'm thinking that the group agreed
in Ottawa to use the ATG2 data type definitions of some code
lists.  Fine, I'm assuming your methodology incorporates the use of
those ATG2 definitions.  Does opening the back door to allow other
values somehow violate commitment to use the data type?  A UBL
instance extended to allow a non-ATG2 coded value in a code list,
when then converted to some other representation based on CCTS and
using the ATG2 code list, will not pass validation in that other
representation because the value used isn't allowed.

So if we do allow this, can we still claim the code list conforms to ATG2?

>  Let me know if this email didn't clear things up for you.

It supported what you were saying earlier, but I'm unclear on the
benefit of removing enumeration validation, I'm unclear on the impact
of the decision to use ATG2 code lists, and I would like to see a
working example of how trading partners would follow your proposed
approach to agreeing on a subset of values so that I can better
understand the mechanics involved.

Thanks again for your efforts with this!

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:  Denver,CO March 13-17,2006
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc