ubl message

Subject: RE: [ubl] WD7 questions regarding schema fragments

Ken,

The "common/CCTS_CCT_SchemaModule-2.0" is provided for implementers who do
not use CCTS aware products like FX to generate their UBL compliant schema.

These Core Component Types are built-in to FX therefore this module is not
needed for UBL data models or schema generation.

All uDTs and qDTs are built from these Core Component Types. This is why you
see similarity in the CCT, uDT, and qDT data models and resulting schema
modules. This reuse extends to BBIEs, ABIEs, and ASBIEs to insure maximum
reusability and minimum data redundancy.

Regards,
Sylvia

-----Original Message-----
From: G. Ken Holman [mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com]
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 6:38 PM
To: Universal Business Language
Subject: [ubl] WD7 questions regarding schema fragments

Hi folks!

Three things have come to my attention with WD7.

(1) The namespaces declared in the WD7 schemas read as follows:

   targetNamespace="urn:oasis:names:draft:ubl:schema:xsd:Invoice-2.0 WD7"

... as a result we cannot work with test instances ... I believe according
to the namespace should be:

   targetNamespace="urn:oasis:names:draft:ubl:schema:xsd:Invoice-2"

... as indicated line 852 of the 2006-06-28 NDR.

Plus the space in the actual file names produced is really messing up some
of my environment issues where I'm not expecting spaces in file names ... I
find I cannot work easily with WD7 at all, nor will they work will in the
student exercise environments.

Note to NDR editors: that line 852 actually has a typo in that the colon
after "Invoice" does not belong.

(2) What is the function of the
"common/CCTS_CCT_SchemaModule-2.0 WD7.xsd" schema fragment?  From what I can
tell none of the schema fragments imports this module (nor was this the case
in earlier drafts).  Looking inside it defines types like AmountType:

    <xsd:complexType name="AmountType">
       <xsd:annotation>
          <xsd:documentation xml:lang="en">
             <ccts:UniqueID>UNDT000001</ccts:UniqueID>
             <ccts:CategoryCode>CCT</ccts:CategoryCode>
             <ccts:DictionaryEntryName>Amount.
Type</ccts:DictionaryEntryName>
             <ccts:VersionID>1.0</ccts:VersionID>
             <ccts:Definition>A number of monetary units specified in a
currency where the unit of the currency is explicit or
implied.</ccts:Definition>

<ccts:RepresentationTermName>Amount</ccts:RepresentationTermName>
             <ccts:PrimitiveType>decimal</ccts:PrimitiveType>
          </xsd:documentation>
       </xsd:annotation>
       <xsd:simpleContent>
          <xsd:extension base="xsd:decimal">

Yet, I see that similar types are declared in UnqualifiedDataTypes:

    <xsd:complexType name="AmountType">
       <xsd:annotation>
          <xsd:documentation xml:lang="en">
             <ccts:UniqueID>UDT000001</ccts:UniqueID>
             <ccts:CategoryCode>UDT</ccts:CategoryCode>
             <ccts:DictionaryEntryName>Amount.
Type</ccts:DictionaryEntryName>
             <ccts:VersionID>1.0</ccts:VersionID>
             <ccts:Definition>A number of monetary units specified in a
currency where the unit of the currency is explicit or
implied.</ccts:Definition>

<ccts:RepresentationTermName>Amount</ccts:RepresentationTermName>
             <ccts:PrimitiveType>decimal</ccts:PrimitiveType>
             <xsd:BuiltinType>decimal</xsd:BuiltinType>
          </xsd:documentation>
       </xsd:annotation>
       <xsd:simpleContent>
          <xsd:extension base="xsd:decimal">

I could not reconcile the presence of both of these schema fragments to my
students ... why do we have the CCTS_CCT_SchemaModule fragment if it isn't
being used anywhere?

(3) The CCTS namespace for documenting the constructs has been different
between the CCTS-based schema fragments and the UBL-based schema fragments
... for example, in the latest the CCTS schemas have:

   xmlns:ccts="urn:un:unece:uncefact:documentation:2.0 WD7"
          <xsd:documentation xml:lang="en">
             <ccts:UniqueID>UDT000001</ccts:UniqueID>
             <ccts:CategoryCode>UDT</ccts:CategoryCode>
             <ccts:DictionaryEntryName>Amount.
Type</ccts:DictionaryEntryName>
             <ccts:VersionID>1.0</ccts:VersionID>

while the UBL constructs have:

xmlns:ccts="urn:oasis:names:draft:ubl:schema:xsd:CoreComponentParameters-2.0
WD7"
       <xsd:documentation>
         <ccts:Component>
           <ccts:DictionaryEntryName>Allowance
Charge Reason_ Code. Type</ccts:DictionaryEntryName>
           <ccts:Version>2.0 WD7</ccts:Version>

I reminded my students that there is no standardization of namespace
prefixes in XML ...
they can be anything at all as what is important is the namespace URI and
not the namespace prefix.

But I could not justify to the students why we have different namespaces for
the same prefix for two fragments that appear to be doing the same thing,
especially when the element names are shared between the two namespace URI
strings.  This, too, has been around in previous versions.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

--
Registration open for UBL training:    Montréal, Canada 2006-08-07
Also for XSL-FO/XSLT training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04