ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Pacific UBL TC call 10|11 July 2006

MINUTES OF PACIFIC UBL TC MEETING
00:30 - 02:30 UTC TUESDAY 11 JULY 2006

ATTENDANCE

   Jon Bosak (chair)
   G. Ken Holman
   Andy Schoka
   Kumar Sivaraman
   Sylvia Webb

STANDING ITEMS

   Additions to the calendar:
      http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/calendar.htm

      None.

   Subcommittee report: SBSC

      GKH: Have opened debate on whether we can follow my proposed
      customization approach, which is no longer based on XPath
      files but rather on a set of schemas.

   Liaison report: X12

      KS: X12 is trying to develop metadata interchange for CICA.

      SW: A standardized format for vendors that will allow the
      exchange of data between developers and their tools.

   Team report: Code Lists

      GKH: TM has given me more UBL-initialized codelists.

      ACTION: GKH to provide revised defaultCodeList.xsl and new
      cl/ directory by the end of the week.

   Subcommittee report: PSC

      SW: No meetings till 7/31.

   Subcommittee report: TSC

      AS: Meetings start this Thursday morning (Wednesday night in
      Western Hemisphere).

   Review of Atlantic call

      No comments.

   Schedule review
      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200602/msg00016.html

      See below.

MONTREAL TC MEETING

   Note hotel info in last Atlantic TC minutes. Make reservations now!

      JB: Who's coming?

         JB, staying at the Europa
         GKH, staying at the Europa (Wed-Fri)
         AS, probably staying at the Europa
         SW cannot attend (in Europe)

PUBLIC REVIEW #2

   File names (2 vs. 2.0)

      GKH: Don't feel SG's justification is enough. The issue is
      backwards compatibility of using xsi:schemalocation in UBL
      instances.  The fact that xsd ties instance to model with
      xmi:schemaLocation is not a good practice, but we cannot
      prevent it; embedding a schemaLocation pointing to a local
      directory doesn't work anyway in a UBL context, only in a
      closed system.  The right way to do this is to map namespace
      URIs using the XML Catalog; we should develop guidelines for
      that.  Note that we're not talking about version numbers in
      namespace URIs but rather in file names, which should be
      able to change even if the namespace stays the same.  We
      should deprecate the use of xsi:schemaLocation (which is not
      the same as xsd:schemaLocation, which in our releases are
      all relative) and show people how to use Catalog.

      AS: No strong feelings about this.

      SW: Would prefer to have "dot zero" and be consistent.

      GKH: But note that not all software supports xml catalogs.

      JB: [Recalling that Catalog was the first specification ever
      developed by OASIS] It's an OASIS Standard; we should use
      it.

      ACTION: Everyone to review the correspondence between SG and
      GKH and decide this in the Atlantic call Wednesday.

         http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200607/msg00037.html
         http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200607/msg00039.html
         http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200607/msg00041.html

   art/

      JB: Move UML diagrams to UML directory?

      GKH: Easier to teach if kept in art/; reserve uml/ for class
      diagrams.

      AGREED to keep the process diagrams in the art/ directory
      (even though they happen to be UML activity diagrams).

   asn/

      Dependent on schemas.

   cl/
   cl/gc
   cl/gc/cefact
   cl/gc/default
   cl/gc/special-purpose
   cl/xsdcl
   cl/xsdcl/default
   cl/xsdcl/special-purpose

      Ken will revise by Friday to incorporate new files from TM.