ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Atlantic UBL TC call 8 August 2007

MINUTES OF ATLANTIC UBL TC MEETING
WEDNESDAY 8 AUGUST 2007

ATTENDANCE

   Jon Bosak (chair)
   Tony Coates
   Mavis Cournane
   Mike Grimley
   Betty Harvey
   Zarella Rendon
   John Schwarz (DLMSO)
   Larry Tanner (DLMSO)

STANDING ITEMS

   Additions to the calendar:
      http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/calendar.htm

      None.

   Review of Pacific call

      No comments (2008 schedule discussed below).

   Support page maintenance

      No submissions this week.

      JB: The U.S. Model Letter Agreement will be on TC agendas
      for next week.

UBL TC MEETING IN STOCKHOLM 24-28 SEPTEMBER 2007

   See the Pacific call minutes.

      No additions.

ATLANTIC ACTION ITEMS FROM MANHATTAN

   ACTION: GKH to write up the "Candidate Decision Regarding Code
   List Support" as amended 10 May 2007 (see minutes referenced
   above).

      Pending.

   JB: Note that I'm still on the hook to provide materials for
   the customization document.

   ACTION: JB to minute the one nonsubstantive spreadsheet error
   found so far (the entry for BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA in
   CountryIdentificationCode-2.0.gc is broken) and send a message
   to this effect to ubl-dev.

      Pending; notes on this from a previous Atlantic call:

      /============================================================
      | GKH: The BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA item is a code list error,
      | not a spreadsheet error.
      |
      | AS: The Locode file is missing a subdivision column,
      | resulting in (for example) multiple locations named
      | "Columbus" with no way to disambiguate them.
      |
      | Summary of the tasks to be done under this heading:
      |
      |  - BOSNIA error: Note publicly and also include in code list
      |    revision.
      |
      |  - Waybill spreadsheet: cell A4 has the UBLName "false";
      |    this should be the word "CustomizationID".  Disposition:
      |    probably a candidate for "approved erratum"
      |    (nonsubstantive, because this is done correctly in the
      |    schema).
      |
      |  - Code lists to update in the code list revision: Locode,
      |    rec20 (Units of Measure), rec24 (Transport Status).
      \============================================================

      See also notes from GKH in

         http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200707/msg00015.html
         http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200707/msg00020.html

      and add the typo in UBL-CommonLibrary-2.0.xls, Q99.

      Update (further typos):

         http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200707/msg00026.html

      See discussion of spreadsheet revision in this week's
      Pacific call minutes.

      AGREED to remove this as an action item for JB and start
      tracking the update as a weekly work item (both Pacific and
      Atlantic).

   ACTION (from Manhattan): MG to investigate the impact of GKH's
   proposed namespace-based versioning mechanism on the NDR.
   AGREED that if no critical problems are found in this
   investigation, we will adopt GKH's proposal for namespace-based
   versioning, as contained in

      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=23654

      MG: Only major impact is that we will have to revert to
      capturing the minor version in the namespaces.

      BH: Chief concern is impact on users.  If a system is set up
      for a particular minor version and the next minor version
      doesn't introduce features requiring an update to the
      system, the system will have to be changed anyway just to
      accommodate the revised namespaces, and trading partners
      will have to be notified as well.  We're not supposed to
      design around tools, but this looks like a major hardship to
      people who have implemented UBL: a minor version change has
      the same impact as a major version change.

      JB: GKH may also be having his doubts about this for other
      reasons.

      ACTION: JB to ping GKH and see what his current thinking is
      regarding namespaces as a versioning mechanism.

TRACKING ITEM

   We need a decision from the OASIS CLR TC regarding the transfer
   of the code list methodology out of the UBL TC before we can
   begin issuing code list support updates.

   JB/TonyC: Missed the last CLR TC con call, but our impression
   is that a vote hasn't been set up for this yet.  We expect a
   meeting soon.

TC CON CALL SCHEDULE

   We're back to our regular weekly meeting schedule.

2008 TC MEETING SCHEDULE

   State of the discussion at the end of the call:

   28 Jan - 1 Feb 2008 in Manhattan (Hotel Bedford recommended)

       - This is now our candidate for the first meeting in 2008;
         people who have a problem with it should speak up

   March 2008 in Rome (together with UBL International Day)

       - We note that Easter is 23 March 2008

         ACTION: JB to ask Roberto about date for UBL Day

   August 2008 in Montréal

       - Starting the Monday after the Extreme Markup conference,
         which this year runs 7-10 August

         ACTION: JB to find out projected dates for next year's
         Extreme

   November or December 2008 in Fremantle

       - We see no problem with this

   Note that none of these has been decided on; they're just under
   discussion.  But it's time for people to check their calendars
   and let us know if they see any problems.  MC needs to know the
   dates of the first two meetings in 2008 by Christmas.

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC