ubl message

Subject: Re: Making references

At 2009-11-30 18:16 +0100, Andrea Caccia wrote:
>If I understood correctly you suggest:
>- to not put any constraint on ext:UBLExtensions/ext:UBLExtension/cbc:ID

Because it is already defined in UBL we cannot change it's current constraints.

>- to add a new e.g. "sig" namespace and a Signature element
>containing a cbc:ID = cac:Signature/cbc:ID

Yes, to satisfy the lexical requirements for referencing the
associated ds:Signature from the cac:Signature/cbc:ID.

Also, this morning, with my additional thought that we have:

    <sig:Signatures
      <sig:Signature
        <cbc:ID
        <ds:Signature
      </sig:Signature
      <sig:Signature
        <cbc:ID
        <ds:Signature
      </sig:Signature
    </sig:Signatures

>This way the eventual ID in ds:Signature, the eventual cbc:ID in
>ext:UBLExtensions/ext:UBLExtension/cbc:ID are not constrained and
>implementors can use them with their original meaning.

Precisely ... which is to distinguish extensions from each other, not
to associate content with an extension.

>At this point we can also add some useful property to sig:Signature
>(this is under our control) for possibly different signature content
>we can support in future such as detached CMS/CAdES, detached XAdES
>and so on. We could add a content-type to specify the mime type of
>the signature and its encoding to support binary signatures.

I suppose so ... I'm unfamiliar with signature technologies.

>On the other hand we are adding some complexity... It's not clear to
>me at the moment if the added complexity balances the advantages.

I don't think I've added anything that isn't required to solve the
problem properly at the schema level.  My recommendations now boil down to:

    (1) - associate ds:Signature with the same kind of identifier being
          used in cac:Signature (for lexical reasons)
    (2) - define the one signature extension point to make a home for
          multiple signatures

I don't think that is complex, and I don't think we can do without
(1) from a technical necessity.

Please do not hesitate to ask more questions for clarification.  I
hope I'm successfully conveying some of the issues UBL schema
designers are faced with.

--
Vote for your XML training:   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/i/
Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc