OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

ubl message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Minutes of Atlantic UBL TC call 26 March 2014 15:00UTC



Atlantic teleconference:
   Oriol Bausa
   Kenneth Bengtsson
   Kees Duvekot
   G. Ken Holman (convener)
   Ole Madsen
   Andy Schoka

Pacific teleconference attendance:

  G. Ken Holman (convener)
  Andy Schoka


  Additions to events calendar: http://ubl.xml.org/events
    - none

  Review of Pacific call minutes

  Review of Atlantic call minutes

  Membership status review

    - voting status is determined by the following:
      - existing voting members must not miss two consecutive meetings to
        maintain voting status
      - non-voting members must attend two consecutive meetings to obtain
        voting status
    - current voting member list (alphabetical):
      - Oriol Bausa
      - Kenneth Bengtsson
      - Peter Borresen (PSC chair)
      - Jon Bosak (secretary)
      - Kees Duvekot
      - G. Ken Holman (co-chair)
      - Ole Madsen
      - Tim McGrath (co-chair)
      - Andy Schoka (TSC chair)
    - members approaching losing voting status:
      - Peter Borresen
    - what can we do to recruit more volunteers to the TC to share
      in the work?

UBL 2.1 Status

 - on 2014-03-24 OASIS Administration submitted OASIS UBL 2.1 to
   JTC 1 for PAS processing

New documents for outsourcing warehousing

 - Kees has begun a thread based on discussions minuted from previous
   UBL committee teleconferences:


 - agreed to create a JIRA ticket to track development of this idea
   into a possible future set of document types

New document for party identification information

 - initiated by Peter
 - useful for a list of one, such as a business card
 - useful for a list of many, such as populating a list of parties
   in an ERP system or other system
 - useful for a list of many, such as directory maintenance, adding
   or interchanging a list of parties
 - Kees has posted for discussion an example from a colleague:


   - to the question of why there is no "party type" inside the
     party element, Ken related his perspective that the UBL
     document modelling approach derives business objects from
     other business objects, specializing them by augmenting them
     and reusing them, rather than by using a "type" field embedded
     inside of them; this is why we have DeliveryParty, CustomerParty,
     and so on, rather than just Party with a type.
   - in a new document for party identification, it would be important
     to associate *possible* roles that a given generic party could
     play, or even the *actual* role that a generic party plays for
     the sender (which might be different for the receiver); thus,
     this document is likely sending generic party information and we
     need to provide for a set of supplemental information (metadata)
     *about* the party independent of that party being used in a
     particular document context
   - consideration also needs to be given to the identifier of the
     party; it could be that the sender of the party information
     embeds in the party an identifier from an internal record
     system that has no relation to the receiver's method of
     identifying parties
 - agreed to create a JIRA ticket to track development of this idea
   into a possible future set of document types

JIRA tickets

 - Ken has asked TC Administration to set up a JIRA project for UBL:


UBL Comment list submission

 - Stephen Green has submitted a contribution for consideration:


 - for discussion, our UBL Customization document talks to the calculation

   1.6 Calculation models

     The UBL Technical Committee does not prescribe a calculation model
     that governs how values in instances are calculated (for example,
     the inclusion of allowances in a line extension amount). Any actual
     implementation of UBL should document its calculation model via a
     prose description or a formal description using, for example, the
     methodology being developed by the OASIS Test Assertion Guidelines
     Technical Committee.

 - during the Pacific call we looked at the following excerpt from
   Stephen's post as the issue to be addressed on which to base a

     However, if the subset does allow a document to include the
     rounding value then its semantics and in particular its
     calculation model will need to handle this as an issue. In
     such a case, I think UBL needs to warn implementers, the
     designers of the semantic subset need to be aware and make
     it clear how such a document is to be handled.

 - agreed to add a JIRA ticket (when the JIRA system is up) targeted to
   any future project regarding UBL implementation guidelines or UBL
   customization, requiring the authors to consider Stephen's
   contribution and supplement, if needed, references to the importance
   of documenting the calculation model associated with a deployment
   of UBL
 - Ken will write a formal response to the comment when the JIRA ticket
   is created

UBL TC next steps

  - what promotional issues need to be addressed?
  - UBL 2 is an organic thing that can be grown

  - what do we do for implementation support?
  - should we write a companion document of how to use the specification?
  - industry-specific documentation?
  - make it easier to find what is relevant without changing the actual

  - what about updating the International Data Dictionary?
    - who can we find to help with this?

  - how about another UBL International conference in order to
    promote the release of UBL 2.1?  Can anyone host this conference?
      http://ublconference.com or http://ublconference.org
      - perhaps an event in North America and in Europe in 2014
        - Washington DC, Burlington MA (OASIS)?
        - http://www.exchange-summit.com/ - Barcelona - October 2014
        - BII - Paris in June?  Frankfurt in September?
        - Beijing June 2014 (JTC 1 SC32)?

  - how about a Twitter feed of UBL adoption and announcements?

  - what subject matter issues need to be addressed?
    - more transportation co-ordination issues
    - communications with transportation regulatory organizations

  - what technical issues need to be addressed?
    - are any schema changes needed?
    - at the least we need to publish the NDR as soon as possible

  - what educational materials need to be made available?
    - how about YouTube videos regarding access to the UBL package?


 We are coming up to daylight savings time again, so please watch the
 timings of calls in North America.  I'm trying to keep the timings of
 calls in Europe unchanged, since most members are from Europe, so the
 time of the Atlantic calls in North America changes for three weeks.

 The Pacific call takes place Tuesday evenings west of the Atlantic
 Ocean.  The time of the Pacific calls in North America is unchanged.

 Next meetings:

   2014-04-02 Pacific 00:00UTC/20:00EDT, Atlantic 14:00UTC/16:00CEST/10:00EDT
   2014-04-09 Pacific 00:00UTC/20:00EDT, Atlantic 14:00UTC/16:00CEST/10:00EDT
   2014-04-16 Pacific 00:00UTC/20:00EDT, Atlantic 14:00UTC/16:00CEST/10:00EDT
   2014-04-23 Pacific 00:00UTC/20:00EDT, Atlantic 14:00UTC/16:00CEST/10:00EDT

 Will anyone be requesting a leave of absence in the near future?  For
 privacy reasons, this discussion will be kept off of the minutes.

 TC calendar:

 TC calendar iCal subscription link:


    - none

Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL & code list classes: Melbourne, AU May 2014 |
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting and instructor-led training |
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm |
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/ |
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com |
Google+ profile:      http://plus.google.com/+GKenHolman-Crane/about |
Legal business disclaimers:    http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal |

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]