ubl message

Subject: Re: Article on the G7 call to digitize trade

Yes, thanks to the Baseline folks for bringing light to this.

Thankfully, the UBL Transportation Subcommittee members are actively involved in regional projects such as the Peppol Logistics project that was launched last December in this meeting:

https://www.fritilmeld.dk/peppol-logistics

Already the UBL semantic library and serialization syntax is used at the heart of the Peppol 4-corner model for procurement in Europe (including France, Germany, Italy, and the UK), Singapore, Australia, and New Zealand.

Japan has announced its recommendation also to use Peppol for procurement.

With UBL also being chosen by the US Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Business Payments Coalition, the semantic library will be at the heart of a US-centric 4-corner-model network with accommodation for cross-border trade with Canada. Their semantics starting point was the Peppol use of the European CEN semantic specifications.

So, all G7 countries already have or soon will have an awareness of and experience with OASIS UBL for procurement.

Since 2013 the OASIS Standard UBL semantic library has included transportation documents and has been used in various pilot projects. This is from OASIS UBL 2.1 which was internationally standardized as ISO/IEC 19845:2015 (the UBL 2.3 Call for Consensus is about to be sent out for final approval of our latest version of UBL as an OASIS Standard):

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.1/UBL-2.1.html#S-INTERMODAL-FREIGHT-MANAGEMENT

With the advent of the Peppol Logistics project, UBL is well positioned both technically (the rich semantic expression) and practically (the existing worldwide expertise in the use of and the mapping to/from UBL).

The UBL Transportation Subcommittee is actively preparing work products related to the mapping of other logistics data formats to and from UBL. It is expected this will equip existing UBL experts (access points) in corners 2 and 3 of the 4-corner model with meeting their client requirements for transportation and logistics. Having more expertise and more energy on the subcommittee will help progress the work more quickly and with even higher quality.

I hope interested parties in transportation and logistics will consider joining the UBL committee and contributing to the work of the Transportation Subcommittee.

Things are only just getting started and OASIS is well positioned to make a big worldwide impact again as it has done already with procurement. Nurturing awareness of our work is critical at this point in time.

Thanks, Chet, for your post!

p.s. Chet and John, I'm expecting this email to bounce on the Ethereum OP list because I am not a member ... would one of you please forward this? Thanks!