uddi-comment message

Subject: Re: [uddi-comment] best practices: wsdlSpec tModels and WSDL versions

On the contrary, I would expect that any services with bindingTempates
referencing the same wsdlSpec tModel would be interface compatible. What
you are suggesting would mean that two services referencing the same
wsdlSpec tModel are NOT interface compatible. If we are to achieve any
measure of automated binding, we have to have a way for service clients to
locate services that have a predictable interface to bind to.

For example, if two services implement the 'common stock quote' interface
(to use an already overused example) then I would expect any client of that
service type to be able to bind to and interact with each of them. The
service selection would be made by virtue of some related criteria like
Service A covers the NASDAQ while Service B covers the NYSE... but their
interfaces would be IDENTICAL with respect to their support of the
published wsdl. The biggest benefit (as I see it) of having a wsdlSpec is
automated binding.

If version changes in interfaces do not result in a new tModel then there
is no way (as I understand it) to create a client that can automatically
find and bind to a published service. It would never 'know' if the located
services have an interface it can talk to.

Does this make sense?

Michael

Paul Sterk
<paul.sterk@Sun.COM> To: uddi-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Sent by: cc:
psterk@phys-hanwk16-2.e Subject: [uddi-comment] best practices: wsdlSpec
tModels and WSDL versions
bay.sun.com
18/10/2002 06:40 PM

Hi,
My understanding is that as a single web service interface (port
type) evolves over time (i.e., it has versions v1, v2, etc.), you do
*not* create a new wsdlSpec TModel instance for every version. This
is because the interface *type* is the same. Only its methods and/or
data types have changed. In this case, the TModel's overviewURL would
point to an updated version of the WSDL. You could also provide a
version scheme for the TModel using a custom taxonomy.
However, if one took an existing interface and changed it with the
intent of representing a new interface type, then you would create a
new wsdlSpec TModel instance for it.
Is this correct?
Thanks,
Paul