uddi-dev message

Subject: Re: [uddi-dev] ebXML registry and UDDI comparisons

At 07:12 PM 2005-06-23, Farrukh Najmi wrote:
>Do you really believe in your heart that the betamax analogy applies.

The analogy was intended to be about feature set or technical specs.  It
was recognized that Betamax offered better video performance than VHS.  By
analogy, ebRIM has the features you have mentioned, such as, taxonomy
values (ClassificationNode) as 1st class registry objects, versionInfo, and
federation.  UDDI does not have these features, but COTS implementations of
UDDI came to market sooner than ebReg (as far as I can tell, I'm sure you
will correct me ;-)

[1]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax

Looks like licensing [1] may have been the downfall of Betamax, which does
not apply as UDDI and ebReg are OASIS standards.

Maybe a better analogy is

UDDI = DVD+R
ebReg = DVD-R

I did not mean to imply that ebReg is dead technology; I was really
thinking more of the feature set or technical comparison analogy than
market success/failure.

Another perspective:
As [1] discusses (legacy of betamax), Sony's Betacam (derived from Betamax)
succeeded in professional television production, whereas the VHS derivative
(M, MII) failed.

I think it is a matter of perspective.  I have followed UDDI more than
ebXML, so I tend to see more of UDDI than ebXML.  Your perspective is the
opposite, you see a lot of ebXML and not as much UDDI.

Paul