Subject: Re: [uddi-spec] Proposed changes to UDDI Version 2 specificationsrelated to UTF-8 / UTF-16 issue

Keisuke,

I would agree with you, but how are we going to determine what encoding the
response should be in any particular case? Is it left upto the Operator
Site?
The response must be of the same encoding or otherwise, the client must
indicate what encoding it prefers.

Max Voskob,
MSI Business Solutions NZ

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keisuke Kibakura" <kibakura@jp.fujitsu.com>
To: <claus.von.riegen@sap.com>
Cc: <uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 10:50 PM
Subject: Re: [uddi-spec] Proposed changes to UDDI Version 2 specifications
related to UTF-8 / UTF-16 issue

> Good work, Claus,
>
> I have one issue.
> A requirement that a registry node shall use the same encoding
> as the initial request for response messages seems too strict.
>
> Adding support for UTF-16 in addtion to UTF-8 would not be a difficult
> task since an middleware for soap and xml generally handles both
encodings.
> But making a uddi registry be sensitive to a encoding of
> an incoming request needs some more work.
> If a new errata requires a UDDI registry change its encoding policy
> for a response message depending upon the initial incoming request,
> it would have a certain influence on existing products/implementations.
>
> Thus, I recommend the last sentence in section 7.2, "Response messages
> that are received from an Operator Site shall use the same character
> encoding as the initial request message that was sent to the Operator
Site.",
> and "Response messages must use the same character encoding as the
> initial request message." in section 4.4.2 in Operator's spec.
> be removed.
>
> Comments?
>
> --
> Keisuke Kibakura
> FUJITSU LIMITED

> > All,
> >
> > At our last conference call I took an action item to specify those
changes for the UDDI Version 2 specifications that would be necessary to
adopt the UTF-16 character encoding. Currently, UDDI allows UTF-8 only. I
have not specified what would be necessary for UDDI Version 3. It can be
done at a later stage accordingly to the outcome of this discussion.

> > First, the Programmers API Specification has to be changed as follows:
> >
> > Section 3.1.7 "XML Encoding"
> > Replace
> > "Similarly, XML allows for a large number of character set encoding
choices.  UDDI Operators are required to only support a single XML
encoding - UTF-8, and will support all compatibility characters defined for
UTF-8.  See appendix B for more information related to the use of byte order
marks and UTF-8 and the way the UDDI SOAP implementations convert all
requests to Unicode prior to processing."
> > with
> > "Similarly, XML allows for a large number of character set encoding
choices. UDDI Operators are required to support both UTF-8 and UTF-16, and
will support all compatibility characters defined for these character
encodings. See appendix B for more information related to the use of byte
order marks in Unicode and the way the UDDI SOAP implementations convert all
requests to Unicode prior to processing."

> > Section 6.7 "Support for Unicode: SOAP listener behavior"
> > Remove
> > "The decision to use the UTF-8 encoding in all requests simplified the
number of encoding variations that need to be handled within the XML
interchanges used in this API specification."
> > Remove
> > "All such responses will be encoded in UTF-8."
> >
> > Section 7.2 "XML Encoding requirements"
> > Replace
> > "All messages sent to and received from the Operator Site shall be
encoded as UTF-8, and shall specify the HTTP Content-Type header with a
charset parameter of "utf-8". All such messages shall also have the
'encoding="UTF-8"' markup in the XML-DECL that appears on the initial line.
Other encoding name variants, such as UTF8, UTF_8, etc. shall not be used.
Therefore, to be explicit, the initial line shall be:
> >      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
> > and the Content-Type header shall be:
> > Operator sites MUST reject messages that do not conform to this
requirement."
> > with
> > "All messages sent to the Operator Site shall be encoded either as UTF-8
or as UTF-16, and shall specify the HTTP Content-Type header with a
corresponding charset parameter of "utf-8" or "utf-16". All such messages
shall also have a corresponding 'encoding="UTF-8"' or 'encoding="UTF-16"'
markup in the XML-DECL that appears on the initial line.  Other encoding
name variants, such as UTF8, UTF_8, UTF16 etc. shall not be used.
Therefore, to give an explicit example for UTF-8, the initial line shall be: