Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Comments on future intentions for V3

OK, I'm not at the meeting so don't know what was discussed/is being
discussed but I'll outline my current understanding (or at least
understanding before the FTF).

According to the OASIS process we need "certification by at least three
OASIS member organizations that they are successfully using the
specification consistently with the OASIS IPR Policy" before a committee
spec can become an OASIS standard. Whilst there is work on v3
implementations in progress, I don't think we're at that point at the
moment. Hence v3 is only at the committee spec. stage. It was my
recollection that this was the main reason for not taking both v2 and v3
to OASIS specs at the first meeting.

I would regard that as v3 is at the committee spec stage it is fairly
fixed as a standard. That said it isn't immune to specification changes
and/or errata in the same sense that v2 isn't immune even though this is
going forward as an OASIS standard (and even after it has gone through
this process successfully). As such what goes forward as an OASIS
standard may be 3.0x, and maybe updated subsequently to 3.0y.

However, errata and change requests are different from new feature
requests (UTF-16 support for example is really a spec change rather than
a new feature). New features discussion as opposed to fixing v3 features
is for the v4 discussion.

Matthew