Subject: RE: [uddi-spec] Use of UDDI.org as a means of promoting TC, UBR, Std Group and Consortium tModels and Value Sets

Title:

Tom, Anne and all:

I have reservations on some of the comments on this and related threads so far:

1) I wouldn't want to see a "relationship" of any sort between the TC and a publisher of a tModel whereby the TC is deemed to have "approved" a tModel. This is not within our mandate, nor is it in the Member Section Steering Committee's mandate. The role of the TC should be to identify clear and objective criteria that the SC uses in its decision to agree to post (or not) a tModel. A TN might do the trick, just as well as a clearly stated and objective criteria on the page. What's important is that be a. objective, b. inclusive (insofar as it meets our stated and published goals) and c. open (consistent with our goals). That said, I wouldn't want to see this as a forum for promulgating vendor specific tModels. We can certainly open qualifying bodies to more than Standards Bodies and Consortium, and open this to SIC, etc; we just need to find the right balance in coming up with the criteria.

2) Some mechanics and resource issues have been alluded to in this and related threads. The reality of the situation is that many of us are doing "volunteer" work (given the time that some of these mails are being sent); same goes for SC members. I think that it is important that we identify a mechanism that is as self-policing as possible and requires a minimum level of effort on anyone's part, but yet achieves our goal.

a. Self-Policing: I like the idea that Paul suggested which is that as a prerequisite, you much have published the tModel to some well-known location (i.e. the UBR) satisfying publishing guidelines. A request can be sent to the SC (i.e. not the TC) requesting that this information be posted, just as is the case for posting "solutions" to http://uddi.org/solutions.html ... (which by the way needs to be updated; I encourage all to have a look at it and ask your reps to contact the sc with updates).

b. Scale:  Paul also suggested that the page be generated dynamically based on approved tModels. This presumed that the publishing location in fact be the UBR. On the first point: I like the idea, but not as a necessary first step. I think that over time, due to issues of scale we can consider this. As a first step I would like to see a static page created. This page could also folks to a page like that of http://uddi.org/find.html that explains to an inquirer how to search for tModels. Again, I would resist a search criteria that requires a SC "seal of approval" as this is simply not a scalable (and legal) option.

On the second point, that is the publishing location, while I'd like to see these published in the UBR, I thought that we shouldn't necessarily limit the published location to the UBR. I'd gladly restrict it though.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Bellwood [
mailto:bellwood@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 19:46
To: Anne Thomas Manes
Cc: uddi-spec@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Anne,

Good point of course.  I guess 30 sec. of thought at the airport wasn't
adequate.  :)   In any event, there is a simple alternative for us that
should do the trick.   A  businessEntity can be created which is owned by
our TC which we can use to model this and other things.   We could then
create a businessService entry with a binding that contains tModelInstanceInfos with references to all of the TC "approved" common tModels.  The instanceDetails' overviewDoc could have a reference to our OASIS page explaining that the referenced tModels were approved, etc.
Alternative modeling techniques could also be used.  The point is that this business would be recognized as the UDDI TC's official BE because we would also document it on the OASIS site, including its businessKey.

Thanks,
Tom Bellwood

"Anne Thomas Manes" <anne@manes.net> on 05/14/2003 03:13:27 PM