Subject: Restructuring the UDDI Schemas and WSDL

This is not related to the code-generation issue.

I have been looking at restructuring the UDDI schemas and WSDL to make it
clearer what is the core registry content and what is related to one or more
APIs.

I have started to put together an initial "V4" description of UDDI which is
based on the V3 description but with an OASIS-style namespace and
restructured to factor out elements into the appropriate place.

I have a four-tier structure at the moment.

The foundation is uddi_v4_im.xsd (the "im" stands for "information model")
which is basically tModel, businessEntity and everything that those elements
reference.  I have adopted a style of using local anonymous types wherever
possible and the combination of adopting this style and omitting those
elements and types that are only used in the definition of one or more APIs
results in a core schema that is around one third the size of uddi_v3.xsd.

The next layer up is uddi_v4_common.wsdl which contains some types that are
used in more than one API, and corresponding message definitions.  This file
does a schema import of uddi_v4_im.xsd within the types section.

The next layer up is a set of portType WSDL files, I have only done
uddi_v4_publish_portType.wsdl.  Each of these portType files has a types
section that defines types unique to that portType, a corresponding set of
message definitions for those types, and then a single portType.  Each file
does a wsdl import of uddi_v4_common.wsdl and a schema import of
uddi_v4_im.xsd within the types section.

The final layer is a set of binding WSDL files, I have only done
uddi_v4_publish_binding.wsdl.  These are pretty much the same as the V3
ones.  Each binding WSDL file does a wsdl import of the corresponding
portType WSDL file and defines a single SOAP/HTTP binding for that portType.

I know it is difficult to visualize this without seeing it so if there is
sufficient interest I will put together a "4.0.1" version of what I have
done based on the final 3.0.1 schemas and make that available.

John Colgrave
IBM