uima message

Subject: Re: [uima] UIMA TC Votable Issues for July 20 Telecon

Hi,

Good question.  As written now I think it is not the case that that referenced types are automatically included in a component's input.  However I can see that this would be useful.

For example if a component declared a requiredInput or optionalInput "Person" which had a feature birthDate of type "Date", it seems annoying to force the component developer to also declare "Date" as an input.  On the other hand, if there were a complex type with lots of references to other types, a component might not want to see all of them.  So I can imagine use cases where we might not want to automatically included all referenced types (worst case you could end up dragging in the whole CAS).

So as you suggest it might make sense for this to be an option that can be specified in the Behavioral Metadata XML.  The downside of that is that it adds more complexity, and we are trying to keep the type-level Behavioral Metadata as simple as possible.

One thing we could do is to use the notion of "containment" references that's in UML and Ecore.  These languages allow an object to be contained in another, instead of just referenced from it.  An object can't have more than one container at a time.  If the container object is deleted so is the contained object.  We could decide that containment relationships can never be filtered out.  So in the above example if the birthDate feature were declared to be a containment reference, then the developer wouldn't have to declare Date as an input type.  For non-containment relationships, the component developer would have to explicitly declare all the types if it required them.  This seems to me like a natural interpretation of containment relationships.

Regards,
  -Adam

_____________________________
Adam Lally
Senior Software Engineer
UIMA Framework Lead Developer
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY, 10532
Tel: 914-784-7706,  T/L: 863-7706
alally@us.ibm.com

Yoshinobu KANO <kano@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp>

07/23/2007 05:26 PM
Please respond to
kano@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp

uima@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
Re: [uima] UIMA TC Votable Issues for July 20 Telecon

Hi,

I read through the Behavioral Metadata Proposal,
and I am not sure about a detailed issue related to Post/Preconditions.

When we specify a type X which has a feature whose range is
FeatureStructure of another type Y,
then type Y (and other referred types recursively) will automatically be
included,
or we should specify every type explicitly?
I hope both is possible by some flags in the descriptor.

Excuse me if I missed descriptions about it in the document.

Thanks,

-Yoshinobu

--
Yoshinobu KANO