uoml-x message

Subject: Re: [uoml-x] Groups - UOML-X TC website content proposal (OASIS-UOML-X-TC-frontpage-proposal.docx)uploaded

On 04/15/2011 04:56 PM, Alex Wang wrote:
> My comments:
> *
> *
> *Scope
> *UOML  describes an abstract document model and the operations available
> on it. Specifically, operations providing functionality for
> read/write/edit and display/print on layout-based documents are described.
> <Alex>"edit" is not accurate. In fact, an edit software can read a
> document via UOML, edit by user interaction(no UOML involved), save
> edited content to document via UOML. Maybe we can change "edit" as
> "modify",because we can delete an object or change the attribute of an
> object via UOML. Similarly, display/print is not directly function of
> UOML. UOML can provide function for display/print, but none of UOML
> instruction do display/print.

Thanks for your clarifications, I will change the draft accordingly.

BTW, this improvements in choice of words will also apply to the UOML
specification itself, as that was my source. I will add it to the
todo-list for the next revision.

> We need unify the term: layout-based document, fixed-layout document,
> visual document? Which one?

"Visual" is "what the eye can see", hence I would clearly prefer "Visual
Document". One thing we would have to do is to define this term clearly
in the UOML specification. We haven't done this yet. If nobody
disagrees, I would also like to add this to the todo-list.

> *Overview*
> Fixed-layout- documents are two-dimensional and contain static paging
> information
> <Alex>"two-dimensional and contain static paging information" should be
> used to describe the term "document" within this specification. Not only
> fixed-layout document(such as PDF), but also reflowable document(such as
> ODF) can describe two-dimensional and contain static paging information.

OK, I will also consider this.

> The similarity of the two models allows UOML to be used as an interface
> standard for PDF.
> <Alex>UOML can be used as an interface standard for not only PDF, but
> also XPS, SVG etc, even a fixed-layout document whose graphics object
> model is quite different. The actual reason why UOML can be used as an
> interface standard for PDF is not the similarity of the two models, but
> the universal document model is able to describe any layout.

This is also a valuable point for both website and specification.

> *Deliverables and Goals*
> **UOML (Unstructured Operation Markup Language) Part 1 Version 2 is
> scheduled to be finished at the end
> of this year.
> <Alex> Now we are planning for version 1.1

Sorry, my fault.

Bes regards,
Peter