uoml-x message

Subject: Re: [uoml-x] Groups - UOML-X TC website content proposal(OASIS-UOML-X-TC-frontpage-proposal.docx) uploaded

My comments:

Scope
UOML  describes an abstract document model and the operations available on it. Specifically, operations providing functionality for read/write/edit and display/print on layout-based documents are described.
<Alex>"edit" is not accurate. In fact, an edit software can read a document via UOML, edit by user interaction(no UOML involved), save edited content to document via UOML. Maybe we can change "edit" as "modify",because we can delete an object or change the attribute of an object via UOML. Similarly, display/print is not directly function of UOML. UOML can provide function for display/print, but none of UOML instruction do display/print.
We need unify the term: layout-based document, fixed-layout document, visual document? Which one?

Overview
Fixed-layout- documents are two-dimensional and contain static paging information
<Alex>"two-dimensional and contain static paging information" should be used to describe the term "document" within this specification. Not only fixed-layout document(such as PDF), but also reflowable document(such as ODF) can describe two-dimensional and contain static paging information.

The similarity of the two models allows UOML to be used as an interface standard for PDF.
<Alex>UOML can be used as an interface standard for not only PDF, but also XPS, SVG etc, even a fixed-layout document whose graphics object model is quite different. The actual reason why UOML can be used as an interface standard for PDF is not the similarity of the two models, but the universal document model is able to describe any layout.

Deliverables and Goals
UOML (Unstructured Operation Markup Language) Part 1 Version 2 is scheduled to be finished at the end
of this year.
<Alex> Now we are planning for version 1.1