Subject: Re: [virtio-comment] virtio and endian-ness

On Tue, 2013-08-20 at 16:08 +0100, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Confused.
> You want to support old and new devices in the same
> driver, don't you? Isn't that making it more complicated?

It will make the driver more complicated, yes (slightly, as the *MMIO*
changes are not going to be too extensive). But to my knowledge only one
virtio_mmio driver has been ever implemented (the Linux one), where I
can do the right thing quite easily and this is a common pattern for the
kernel drivers (a single one can driver a family of almost, but not
quite, identical devices). I just don't want to make life harder for the
guys implementing the device component (I'll say this again: virtio_mmio
interface was conceived to be as simple as possible :-) in qemu, kvm
tools, proprietary modelling environments, <pick your choice here>.

Paweł