Subject: Re: [virtio-comment] About adding a new device type virtio-nvme

On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 05:21:14PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 11:01:37AM -0500, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > Each virtio-blk device is a single block device. There is no
> > standardized management protocol in virtio-blk for connecting to remote
> > block devices. I'm aware of hardware virtio-blk devices that connect to
> > remote storage. Configuration is performed through an out-of-band
> > management interface.
> >
> > Maybe when you say virtio-blk doesn't support remote storage this is
> > what you mean?
>
> That makes sense, but the same is true of non-fabrics nvme transports
> like nvme-pci and a hypothetical nvme-virtio.

Just to confirm (my NVMe knowledge is not great), "6 Fabrics Command
Set", "5.22 Namespace Attachment command", etc cannot be used over
nvme-pci to connect remote storage if a device supports those commands?

https://nvmexpress.org/wp-content/uploads/NVM-Express-Base-Specification-2.0c-2022.10.04-Ratified.pdf

Stefan