Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] virtio-vsock live migration

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 03:37:37PM +0000, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> Michael pointed out that the virtio-vsock draft specification does not
> address live migration and in fact currently precludes migration.
>
> Migration is fundamental so the device specification at least mustn't
> preclude it.  Having brainstormed migration with Matthew Benjamin and
> Michael Tsirkin, I am now summarizing the approach that I want to
> include in the next draft specification.
>
> Feedback and comments welcome!  In the meantime I will implement this in
> code and update the draft specification.

Most of the issue seems to be a consequence of using a 4 byte CID.

I think the right thing to do is just to teach guests
about 64 bit CIDs.

For now, can we drop guest CID from guest to host communication completely,
making CID only host-visible? Maybe leave the space
in the packet so we can add CID there later.
It seems that in theory this will allow changing CID
during migration, transparently to the guest.

Guest visible CID is required for guest to guest communication -
but IIUC that is not currently supported.
Maybe that can be made conditional on 64 bit addressing.
Alternatively, it seems much easier to accept that these channels get broken
across migration.