Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] virtio-vsock live migration

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 02:32:00PM +0000, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 06:12:55PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> > > I reached the conclusion that channels break across migration because:
> > >
> > > 1. 32-bit CIDs are in sockaddr_vm and we'd break AF_VSOCK ABI by
> > >    changing it to 64-bit.  Application code would be specific
> > >    virtio-vsock and wouldn't work with other AF_VSOCK transports that
> > >    use the 32-bit sockaddr_vm struct.
> >
> > You don't have to repeat the IPv6 mistake.  Make all 32 bit CIDs
> > 64 bit CIDs by padding with 0s, then 64 bit apps can use
> > any CID.
> >
> > Old 32 bit CID applications will not be able to use the extended
> > addresses, but hardcoding bugs
> > does not seem sane.
>
> A mixed 32-bit and 64-bit CID world is complex.  The host doesn't know
> in advance whether all applications (especially inside the guest) will
> support 64-bit CIDs or not.  32-bit CID applications won't work if a
> 64-bit CID has been assigned.

Only for guest to guest communication, correct?
Host can do dual addressing as well.
Applications that do not want connections to be broken
will use 64 bit addresses. Old applications will keep
running until you migrate.

> It also opens up the question how unique CIDs are allocated across
> hosts.

I think it's actually a good idea to define this, rather than
leave things in the air. For example, EUI-64 can be used.

> Given that AF_VSOCK in Linux already exists in the 32-bit CID version,
> I'd prefer to make virtio-vsock compatible with that for the time being.

Yes, so we cut corners in order to ship it quickly,
but that is implementation. Linux can be extended.
Why limit the protocol to follow current implementation bugs?

> Extensions can be added in the future but just implementing existing
> AF_VSOCK semantics will already allow the applications to run.

It's an important goal. At the spec level, I do not think
it is a good idea to put this limitation in, but users can
just use a subset of the available address space in order
to make existing apps work.

> > > 2. Dropping guest CIDs from the protocol breaks network protocols that
> > >    send addresses.
> >
> > Stick it in config space if you really have to.
> > But why do you need it on each packet?
>
> If packets are implicitly guest<->host then adding guest<->guest
> communication requires a virtio spec change.  If packets contain
> source/destination CIDs then allowing/forbidding guest<->host or
> guest<->guest communication is purely a host policy decision.  I think
> it's worth keeping that in from the start.

OK.

> > >  NFS and netperf are the first two protocols I looked
> > >    at and both transmit address information across the connection...
> >

> > Does netperf really attempt to get local IP
> > and then send that inline within the connection?
>
> Yes, netperf has separate control and data sockets.  I think part of the
> reason for this split is that the control connection can communicate the
> address details for the data connection over a different protocol (TCP +
> RDMA?), but I'm not sure.
>
> Stefan

Thinking about it, netperf does not survive disconnects.
So the current protocol would be useless for it.
I am not sure about NFS but from (long past) experience it did not
attempt to re-resolve the name to address, so changing an
address would break it as well.

So I think these applications would have to use a 64 bit CID.

Why, then, do we care about one aspect of these applications
(creating connections) and not another (not breaking them)?

--
MST