Subject: Re: virtio Document in Latex format: todo items

Rusty, Michael et al,

Here is a link to a document written by the OASIS TAB that gives guidelines on writing conformance clauses.

http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/TCHandbook/ConformanceGuidelines.html

I suggest taking a look at that to help identify how best to structure the section. Also, we can probably get on the phone with Jacques or Patrick (the authors) to give you some suggestions. For a very thorough excellent example, I suggest looking at how KMIP organized conformance clauses in their profiles document.

best,

/chet

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 4:33 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:44:13PM +1030, Rusty Russell wrote:
> "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@redhat.com> writes:
> > OK, now we have a basic document in latex, here is the
> > list of items we must complete to publish draft:
> >
> > - clean place-holder appendix B - I'll do this shortly
> >
> > - non-normative references - do we have any?
> > - related work - do we have any?
> > - declared xml namespaces - do we have any?
>
> Thanks,
>
>         I'm actually on vacation this week, so I won't be active until
> the weekend.
>
> > If not let's remove above sections.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > - fill in conformance section: what exactly goes here?
> >   do we just require all "must" conditions are met?
>
> I don't know... if we can't copy someone else, just refer to the RFC.

OK I'll put this text in for now -
basically say do all MUST and don't do any MUST NOT -
but this requires we make MUST in spec text
much more explicit. We have whole sections with no
MUST SHOULD or MAY - they aren't all non-normative, are they?

This can be made clearer during review period though.

> > - fix MUST/SHOULD etc to must/should for consistency
> >   or did we change our mind on this? I don't care but
> >   if we don't mark them with upper case do we need to copy
> >   required stuff to conformance section? if not how do people find it?
>
> Let's go upper case.  I prefer that anyway, and the standard you cribbed
> the latex from used upper case too.

OK, I'll revert to that.

--

/chet