Subject: Re: [virtio] Feedback: PCI device spec

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 05:18:53PM +0000, Pawel Moll wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 16:58 +0000, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > ATM you can put any value that makes sense there I think, drivers will bind
> > and work.
>
> That's true, I'm fine with this.
>
> But try to put yourself into such guy's shoes. You know nothing about
> virtio. You have to implement a virtio PCI device for your custom
> system. You're looking at the PCI spec, which tells you that you've got
> to put some values into the device's configuration space. And the virtio
> spec doesn't tell you what numbers should you use.
>
> I appreciate it's convenient for us not to specify such details. Maybe
> it's the right thing to do. But I also understand my colleague's
> frustration with this aspect of the spec. Thus the discussion.
>
> Paweł

Well PCI spec specifies some classes, doesn't it?
Maybe we should just refer reader to that?
Which device are we talking about specifically?

For ethernet there's a special class.
For GL especially if it supports VGA there's a class.
For storage if you want to run windows WHQL seems to want
you to specify scsi.

--
MST