voting message

Subject: FW: [voting] BEA Systems Intentes to vote No on UBL Naming and Design Rules

Forwarded on behalf of David Orchard in response to comment by Fulton
Wilcox.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Orchard
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 3:48 PM
To: Hal Lockhart
Subject: RE: [voting] BEA Systems Intentes to vote No on UBL Naming and
Design Rules

This is why we have also proposed that incompatible extensions can be
marked with a "mustUnderstand" flag to require the "warranties void" tag
be understood.  The significant difference between the "mU" approach and
the current UBL rules is that UBL does not allow a 3rd party create the
"warranties void" tag and require others understand, UBL requires that
UBL standardize this tag.

Cheers,
Dave

Design
> Rules
>
> BEA Systems intends to vote No on making UBL NDR an OASIS Standard
once
> the
> voting period commences on December 16th. Our reasons are contained in
the
> comment below which we will post with our No vote. We are posting this
> message to the organizational voting list to make our intentions known
> the voting members as we realize only TC members are likely to examine
the
> votes which have been cast.
>
> Hal Lockhart
> Organizational Representative - BEA Systems, Inc.

> --
> -------------------
> BEA Systems votes no on UBL Naming and Design Rules v1.0 as an OASIS
> Standard.  BEA commented during the public review that we believe that
> distributed extensibility and versioning is a key architectural
component
> of
> distributed systems and UBL should allow for distributed extensibility
> [1].
> The UBL TC responded to the effect that exchanging business documents
> where
> one side did not have the extension schema - what we have called
> distributed
> compatible extensibility - is not in business interests because both
sides
> must understand any extensions for continued exchange.  We believe
that
> this
> requirement - that all parties in an exchange must simultaneously
deploy
> new
> schemas and semantic understanding - is too onerous for business
> scenarios.
> There is a long history of compatible evolution of business documents
that
> could be formalized and fostered by UBL.  We are very concerned that
this
> design will lead to very tightly coupled and brittle business systems.
We

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200410/msg00000.html