voting message

Subject: Please take time to vote in the OASIS BoD special election

Dear OASIS voters,

this is to draw your attention to the currently open special election for 2 OASIS Board of Directors seats.

The election ballot is open at this URIÂhttps://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/voting/ballot.php?id=3671Âuntil 15th December (if the 1/3 quorum has been reached by that time)
You can inspect all 5 candidate profiles including mine hereÂhttps://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/voting/documents.php?folder_id=3443

Modern standardization grows exponentiallyÂcomplex and ever closer to industrial as well as academic cutting edge R&D, it also increasingly affects wider societal and ethical issues, therefore I believe that my academic research experience as well as experienceÂwith transposing advancedÂresearch topics into standardizationÂthemes and scopes (for instance as a supervisor of PhD candidates where standardization work at OASIS, W3C, or ISO/IEC JTC 1 was integral part of the PhD research problem and program) is highly relevant for my future BoD work, of course if elected and seated..Â

This is to highlight the platform direction points outlined in my nomination acceptance letter:

Build on existing strengths

Keep at the forefront as champion of OSS friendly IPR management
Keep separation of concerns between a specification and its independent implementations
Keep strong in transpositions to international standards via ISO, IEC, and ISO/IEC JTC 1
Keep focus on globally accepted implementable interoperability standards acrossÂIoT, Cloud, Security, and Exchange formats and protocols for various business application areas

Improve existing features

Stronger focus on implementability and testability of specifications
Penetrate interoperability standards area for ML and AI in general
Strengthen machine readability of OASIS Standards
Stronger technical support to committee officers in terms of standardization of standardization (strengthen TAB, document corporate memory wrt strategic relationships such as ISO, IEC, or IANA)
Strengthen formal liaison management with ISO and IEC committees, ISO/IEC JTC 1 subcommittees, as well as JTC 1 level PAS transposition activity
Assist formal SDOs in their struggle with OSS and machine readable standards
Strengthen the development pipeline and grow membership by reaching out to
industry trade associations
corporate players with low standardization maturity
code first projects with no or weak specification development process
Strengthen European and Asian presence and awareness, consider presence in Africa

I would be honored to receive your vote

PS: Having experience across several standardization cultures and ecosystems, OASIS remains my all time favorite. Although this is my first time running, I considered serving before, yet my academic employers of past 10 years were not able to support my potential BoD engagement, having said that, I am eternally thankfulÂfor the great and exciting adventure of pioneering standardization engagement and research in Irish academia via Trinity College Dublin, ADAPT Centre.Â
So now, I am also extremely thankfulÂto my current employer Huawei TechnologiesÂfor nominating me and for sponsoring my time and commitment not only in this BoD election but in a wide range of international standardization roles across formal SDOs and consortia.

Cheers and thanks
-dF

--
Dr. David Filip