was message

Subject: Re: [was] The ID generation issue

Peter Michalek wrote:

>>   Well, I'd really like to see the parts be independent from each
>>   other. Otherwise I don't see who will adopt them as standard.
>>   Vulnerability scanner people are not interested in metadata or
>>   protect. Web application firewall people are not interested in
>>   anything but Protect. And so on...
>
> I think in general all "security domain" providers will be intersted in
> the generic parts: profile and metadata.

   That's why we must seek their active participation as soon as
   we come out with a draft of some kind.

> However, we still need to provide a way to reference another instance by
> ID - which we already do in the schema (we need to make sure this sample
> validates, I just posted it):
>
> http://www.evdl.net/latest/examples/example-protect-by-ref-1.xml

   Hmm, where is the reference in this example? The ID? Or did you mean
   the other example:

   http://www.evdl.net/latest/examples/example-protect-by-ref-url-1.xml

   Either way, Protect (Detect & SCA too) needs a way to reference
   entries in other vulnerability databases. For example:

   <recipe ...>