Subject: Possible interim process fix

What follows is a possible interim procedure for creating new OASIS
technical committees and for recertifying existing OASIS TCs by
formally appointing their voting membership.

See the accompanying message "The TRAC reconsidered" for my motivation
in suggesting this strategy.  Basically it's to minimize the work of
moving the interim structure to our long-term structure.

Note that this is a possible *interim* fix intended to sanction
technical committees under what appear to be our current rules.

The forms below are intended mostly as a demonstration of the concept.
I don't think that this bears much discussion until we've decided
whether this is the direction in which we want to go; see the
questions at the bottom of "The TRAC reconsidered."

Jon

   including a notification to the membership that a list has
   been formed.  I think that we are safe in assuming that this
   has already occurred in the case of our existing committees.

2. The list or committee chair draws up

   a. A charter that describes the work of the committee (an
      abstract, not in detail).

   b. A description of the committee's intended deliverables.

   c. A description of the committee's anticipated meeting and
      phone conference schedule for the calendar year 2000.

3. The list or committee chair asks the mail list for
   nominations to voting membership.  Prospective voting members
   are asked to certify their intention to participate at the
   level described.

   a. In the case of new committees, the list chair waits a
      week or so after the mail list has been formed and whatever
      informal correspondence needed to set the expectations of
      the group has taken place and then posts the notice below.

      CALL FOR NOMINATIONS TO VOTING MEMBERSHIP: OASIS [name goes
      here] TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

      The OASIS [name goes here] Technical Committee is being
      formed to [purpose of committee goes here].

      [name(s)] have/has agreed to serve as chair(s) of the
      proposed committee.

      The proposed deliverables of the TC are as follows:

         [description of deliverables goes here]

      In calendar year 2000, the TC is expected to meet at [host,
      location, date; host, location, date; ... or other language
      describing meeting plans].

      [OPTIONAL] The TC also intends to meet regularly by phone,
      [name of sponsoring company or other agency] having agreed
      to provide phone conference services for calendar year
      2000.

      Upon startup, the TC will consist in effect of a set of
      voting members and a set of non-voting observers.  The
      voting members will be those who have been appointed by the
      OASIS Board of Directors from among persons nominating
      themselves in response to this call.  Note that voting
      members must be able to promise attendance at meetings in
      order to meet quorum requirements.  Therefore, OASIS
      members wishing to track and comment upon the work of the
      TC in the mailing list but not to attend its meetings
      regularly should *not* apply for voting membership.

      Members of this list willing to commit to voting
      participation in the OASIS [name goes here] Technical
      Committee are hereby requested to respond to this list no
      later than [date] with the following statement:

         I understand that OASIS committees regularly meet in
         person or by phone as determined by the committee or by
         the OASIS Board of Directors and that participation in
         the [name goes here] TC will require me to attend most
         of its meetings.  Based on the estimated meeting
         schedule given above, I certify that I have the means
         and the interest to attend such meetings and that I
         intend to do so.

         I understand that the TC cannot transact business in the
         absence of a quorum or take action by mail ballot
         without the active participation of its members and that
         therefore failure to attend meetings and vote in mail
         ballots will result in my removal from the committee.  I
         promise to submit a letter of resignation to the chair
         or chairs of the committee if in the future I find
         myself unable to participate actively in its work.

            [member signature block goes here]

   b. In the case of existing committees, the chair posts a
      notice with an explanatory preface like the one shown here.

      To members of the [name goes here] committee:

      The OASIS Board of Directors recently appointed a Process
      Advisory Committee (PAC) to advise the board regarding
      procedures to be followed in OASIS technical committees
      under the current OASIS bylaws and to develop suggestions
      for changes to the bylaws that will enhance the scalability
      of the OASIS process.

      According to PAC analysis so far, our current bylaws, if
      strictly applied, require the voting membership of
      committees to be approved by the Board of Directors.
      However, the appointment of specific members has the
      procedural implication that a majority of those voting
      members have to be present in meetings and phone
      conferences for the committee to conduct formal business,
      and it takes a majority of the voting membership in email
      to officially decide anything.  So it's necessary to
      distinguish the members of this list who can actually
      commit to attending meetings and phone conferences from
      members who wish only to track the progress of the
      committee and participate in mail dicussions.

      The board is therefore requesting all current OASIS
      technical committees to formally nominate voting members
      who can commit to attending committee meetings and respond
      to votes put to them by the chair.  It also wants to use
      this occasion to get our estimated deliverables and meeting
      schedule for the coming year.

      [chairs of existing technical committees are permitted at
      this point to insert a paragraph expressing their opinion
      that this is all a lot of silly nonsense, but what can one
      do, &c.]

      I've prepared a description of our committee and a formal
      call for nominations to voting membership below.  Please
      review the charter and meeting information and then decide
      whether you want to nominate yourself to serve as a voting
      member of the committee.

      Please note that the current composition of this mail list
      will not change on approval of voting members.  The primary
      difference is that a subset of the list will now be able to
      pass formal resolutions on behalf of the group in
      accordance with current OASIS bylaws.

      Best regards,

      [name of list chair]

      CALL FOR NOMINATIONS TO VOTING MEMBERSHIP: OASIS [name goes
      here] TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

      The OASIS [name goes here] Technical Committee is being
      recertified to [clause describing the work goes here].

      The chair(s) of the TC is/are [name(s) go(es) here].

      The proposed deliverables of the TC are as follows:

         [description of deliverables goes here]

      In calendar year 2000, the TC is expected to meet at [host,
      location, date; host, location, date; ... or other language
      describing meeting plans].

      [OPTIONAL] The TC also intends to meet regularly by phone,
      [name of sponsoring company or other agency] having agreed
      to provide phone conference services for calendar year
      2000.

      Upon recertification, the voting members of the TC will be
[...]

4. When the time specified in the call for participation is
   up, the chair gathers together the names that have been
   submitted and sends an appropriate message to the board.

   FORM FOR REQUESTING THE CREATION OR RECERTIFICATION OF AN
   OASIS TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

   To the OASIS Board of Directors, greetings.

   Background

      [In the case of a new committee:]

         Members of the [name of mail list] have proposed to form
         an OASIS technical committee chartered to [purpose of
         committee goes here].

         The proposed deliverables of the TC are as follows:

            [description of deliverables goes here]

      [In the case of an existing committee:]

         Members of the [name of committee] have recently
         reviewed their charter, which is to [purpose of
         committee goes here].

         The planned deliverables of the TC are as follows:

            [description of deliverables goes here]

      [Then continue:]

      In calendar year 2000, the TC is expected to meet at [host,
      location, date; host, location, date; ... or other language
      describing meeting plans]

      [OPTIONAL] The TC also intends to meet regularly by phone,
      [name of sponsoring company or other agency] having agreed
      to provide phone conference services for calendar year
      2000.

      The following OASIS members and employees of OASIS member
      organizations have nominated themselves to serve as voting
      members of the TC and have accepted the proposed charter,
      deliverables, and meeting schedule.

         [name, contact info]
         [name, contact info]
         [name, contact info]...[include name of chair]...

      The [proposed] chair of the TC is [name of chair or
      proposed chair goes here].

      [If a new committee:]

         As chair of the [list name goes here] list, I hereby
         request that the Board of Directors create the OASIS
         [name goes here] Technical Committee and empower it to
         fulfill its proposed charter, including the power to
         form such subcommittees as are provided by parliamentary
         authority.

            [signature block of list chair goes here]

      [If an existing committee:]

         As chair of the [name goes here] TC, I hereby request
         that the Board of Directors recertify the TC and empower
         it to fulfill its proposed charter, including the power
         to form such subcommittees as are provided by
         parliamentary authority.

            [signature block of TC chair goes here]

5. The board then considers a resolution creating the new
   committee or recertifying the existing one.

   FORM OF RESOLUTION FOR CREATION OR RECERTIFICATION OF AN OASIS
   TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

   Resolution of the Board

      [If a new committee:]

         Be it resolved, that the OASIS [name of TC] be created
         with [name] as its chair and that the OASIS members
         listed in the message copied below be appointed its
         voting members.

      [If an existing committee:]

         Be it resolved, that the OASIS [name of TC] be
         recertified with [name] as its chair and that the OASIS
         members listed in the message copied below be appointed
         its voting members.

      [Then continue:]

      Be it further resolved, that the [name of TC] be empowered
      to fulfill its charter stated below, including the power to
      form such subcommittees as are provided by parliamentary
      authority.

   Record of Vote on the Resolution of the Board

      Date: [date goes here]
      Voting to approve the resolution: [names go here]
      Voting against the resolution: [names go here]
      Abstaining:  [names go here]

      Certified by [name of Secretary of OASIS] for the Board of
      Directors.

   [Copy of request from list or committee chair, including
   background statement and list of nominees, is copied in here.]