Subject: Re: Possible interim process fix

Jon wrote:

| What follows is a possible interim procedure for creating new OASIS
| technical committees and for recertifying existing OASIS TCs by
| formally appointing their voting membership.
|
| See the accompanying message "The TRAC reconsidered" for my motivation
| in suggesting this strategy.  Basically it's to minimize the work of
| moving the interim structure to our long-term structure.
|
| Note that this is a possible *interim* fix intended to sanction
| technical committees under what appear to be our current rules.
|
| The forms below are intended mostly as a demonstration of the concept.
| I don't think that this bears much discussion until we've decided
| whether this is the direction in which we want to go; see the
| questions at the bottom of "The TRAC reconsidered."
|
| Jon

desired end state)

| 2. The list or committee chair draws up
|
|    a. A charter that describes the work of the committee (an
|       abstract, not in detail).

In the context of Robert's I'm uneasy about calling this a charter;
see pp10--11.  Below you use "purpose", which I like better.

|    b. A description of the committee's intended deliverables.
|
|    c. A description of the committee's anticipated meeting and
|       phone conference schedule for the calendar year 2000.

I don't find it possible to determine the phone schedule that
far in advance.  It can be done in the abstract ("every two weeks").

| 3. The list or committee chair asks the mail list for
|    nominations to voting membership.  Prospective voting members
|    are asked to certify their intention to participate at the
|    level described.

I think this is not nomination in the sense of R, if only because
you don't want persons not already on the list to be nominated.
(And R has a lot of other stuff about nominations we don't want
to get saddled with for this immediate purpose).  Let's call this
"volunteering".  Requirements for attendance must be stated at
this point.

|    a. In the case of new committees, the list chair waits a
|       week or so after the mail list has been formed and whatever
|       informal correspondence needed to set the expectations of
|       the group has taken place and then posts the notice below.
|       ===========================================================
|       CALL FOR NOMINATIONS TO VOTING MEMBERSHIP: OASIS [name goes
|       here] TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

Including "ADVISORY".

|       The OASIS [name goes here] Technical Committee is being
|       formed to [purpose of committee goes here].
|       [name(s)] have/has agreed to serve as chair(s) of the
|       proposed committee.
|
|       The proposed deliverables of the TC are as follows:
|
|          [description of deliverables goes here]
|
|       In calendar year 2000, the TC is expected to meet at [host,
|       location, date; host, location, date; ... or other language
|       describing meeting plans].
|
|       [OPTIONAL] The TC also intends to meet regularly by phone,
|       [name of sponsoring company or other agency] having agreed
|       to provide phone conference services for calendar year
|       2000.

I wouldn't want to require that phone service be set up a calendar
year at a time as a prerequisite.

|       Upon startup, the TC will consist in effect of a set of
|       voting members and a set of non-voting observers.  The

The nonvoting observers are not part of the TC per R.  At least
I don't find "observers" in the index.

|       voting members will be those who have been appointed by the
|       OASIS Board of Directors from among persons nominating
|       themselves in response to this call.  Note that voting
|       members must be able to promise attendance at meetings in
|       order to meet quorum requirements.  Therefore, OASIS
|       members wishing to track and comment upon the work of the
|       TC in the mailing list but not to attend its meetings
|       regularly should *not* apply for voting membership.
|
|       Members of this list willing to commit to voting
|       participation in the OASIS [name goes here] Technical
|       Committee are hereby requested to respond to this list no
|       later than [date] with the following statement:
|
|          I understand that OASIS committees regularly meet in
|          person or by phone as determined by the committee or by
|          the OASIS Board of Directors and that participation in
|          the [name goes here] TC will require me to attend most
|          of its meetings.  Based on the estimated meeting
|          schedule given above, I certify that I have the means
|          and the interest to attend such meetings and that I
|          intend to do so.
|
|          I understand that the TC cannot transact business in the
|          absence of a quorum or take action by mail ballot
|          without the active participation of its members and that
|          therefore failure to attend meetings and vote in mail
|          ballots will result in my removal from the committee.  I
|          promise to submit a letter of resignation to the chair
|          or chairs of the committee if in the future I find
|          myself unable to participate actively in its work.

We must have absolutely rigid rules about how many meetings you
can miss before being booted.

|             [member signature block goes here]
|       ===========================================================
|
|    b. In the case of existing committees, the chair posts a
|       notice with an explanatory preface like the one shown here.

Actually, you don't need this point, because all existing groups
will be "new committees" wrt process.

|       ===========================================================
|       To members of the [name goes here] committee:
|
|       The OASIS Board of Directors recently appointed a Process
|       Advisory Committee (PAC) to advise the board regarding
|       procedures to be followed in OASIS technical committees
|       under the current OASIS bylaws and to develop suggestions
|       for changes to the bylaws that will enhance the scalability
|       of the OASIS process.

I think the membership should already know this because it should
already have been announced.

|       According to PAC analysis so far, our current bylaws, if
|       strictly applied, require the voting membership of
|       committees to be approved by the Board of Directors.
|       However, the appointment of specific members has the
|       procedural implication that a majority of those voting
|       members have to be present in meetings and phone
|       conferences for the committee to conduct formal business,
|       and it takes a majority of the voting membership in email
|       to officially decide anything.  So it's necessary to
|       distinguish the members of this list who can actually
|       commit to attending meetings and phone conferences from
|       members who wish only to track the progress of the
|       committee and participate in mail dicussions.
|
|       The board is therefore requesting all current OASIS
|       technical committees to formally nominate voting members
|       who can commit to attending committee meetings and respond
|       to votes put to them by the chair.  It also wants to use
|       this occasion to get our estimated deliverables and meeting
|       schedule for the coming year.
|
|       [chairs of existing technical committees are permitted at
|       this point to insert a paragraph expressing their opinion
|       that this is all a lot of silly nonsense, but what can one
|       do, &c.]

I protest.  We should use one approved form, and it shouldn't refer
to nonexistent committees that were never appointed.

|       I've prepared a description of our committee and a formal
|       call for nominations to voting membership below.  Please
|       review the charter and meeting information and then decide
|       whether you want to nominate yourself to serve as a voting
|       member of the committee.
|
|       Please note that the current composition of this mail list
|       will not change on approval of voting members.  The primary
|       difference is that a subset of the list will now be able to
|       pass formal resolutions on behalf of the group in
|       accordance with current OASIS bylaws.

Not on behalf of the larger group, on behalf of themselves.  The
rest aren't members of the committee.

|       Best regards,
|
|       [name of list chair]
|
|       CALL FOR NOMINATIONS TO VOTING MEMBERSHIP: OASIS [name goes
|       here] TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
|
|       The OASIS [name goes here] Technical Committee is being
|       recertified to [clause describing the work goes here].
|
|       The chair(s) of the TC is/are [name(s) go(es) here].
|
|       The proposed deliverables of the TC are as follows:
|
|          [description of deliverables goes here]
|
|       In calendar year 2000, the TC is expected to meet at [host,
|       location, date; host, location, date; ... or other language
|       describing meeting plans].
|
|       [OPTIONAL] The TC also intends to meet regularly by phone,
|       [name of sponsoring company or other agency] having agreed
|       to provide phone conference services for calendar year
|       2000.
|
|       Upon recertification, the voting members of the TC will be
|       those who have been appointed by the OASIS Board of
|       Directors from among persons nominating themselves in
|       response to this call.  Note that voting members must be
|       able to promise attendance at meetings in order to meet
|       quorum requirements.  Therefore, OASIS members wishing to
|       track and comment upon the work of the TC in the mailing
|       list but not to attend its meetings regularly should *not*
|       apply for voting membership.

again the language needs fixing.

|       Members of this list willing to commit to voting
|       participation in the OASIS [name goes here] Technical
|       Committee are hereby requested to respond to this list no
|       later than [date] with the following statement:
|
|          I understand that OASIS committees regularly meet in
|          person or by phone as determined by the committee or by
|          the OASIS Board of Directors and that participation in
|          the [name goes here] TC will require me to attend most
|          of its meetings.  Based on the estimated meeting
|          schedule given above, I certify that I have the means
|          and the interest to attend such meetings and that I
|          intend to do so.
|
|          I understand that the TC cannot transact business in the
|          absence of a quorum or take action by mail ballot
|          without the active participation of its members and that
|          therefore failure to attend meetings and vote in mail
|          ballots will result in my removal from the committee.  I
|          promise to submit a letter of resignation to the chair
|          or chairs of the committee if in the future I find
|          myself unable to participate actively in its work.

Before we go further, what is our procedure for booting the sloths
if they don't submit a letter of resignation?

|             [member signature block goes here]
|       ===========================================================
|
| 4. When the time specified in the call for participation is
|    up, the chair gathers together the names that have been
|    submitted and sends an appropriate message to the board.
|
|    ==============================================================
|    FORM FOR REQUESTING THE CREATION OR RECERTIFICATION OF AN
|    OASIS TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
|
|    To the OASIS Board of Directors, greetings.
|
|    Background
|
|       [In the case of a new committee:]

again, all we'll have is new committees.

|          Members of the [name of mail list] have proposed to form
|          an OASIS technical committee chartered to [purpose of
|          committee goes here].
|
|          The proposed deliverables of the TC are as follows:
|
|             [description of deliverables goes here]
|
|       [In the case of an existing committee:]
|
|          Members of the [name of committee] have recently
|          reviewed their charter, which is to [purpose of
|          committee goes here].
|
|          The planned deliverables of the TC are as follows:
|
|             [description of deliverables goes here]
|
|       [Then continue:]
|
|       In calendar year 2000, the TC is expected to meet at [host,
|       location, date; host, location, date; ... or other language
|       describing meeting plans]
|
|       [OPTIONAL] The TC also intends to meet regularly by phone,
|       [name of sponsoring company or other agency] having agreed
|       to provide phone conference services for calendar year
|       2000.
|
|       The following OASIS members and employees of OASIS member
|       organizations have nominated themselves to serve as voting
|       members of the TC and have accepted the proposed charter,
|       deliverables, and meeting schedule.
|
|          [name, contact info]
|          [name, contact info]
|          [name, contact info]...[include name of chair]...
|
|       The [proposed] chair of the TC is [name of chair or
|       proposed chair goes here].
|
|       [If a new committee:]
|
|          As chair of the [list name goes here] list, I hereby
|          request that the Board of Directors create the OASIS
|          [name goes here] Technical Committee and empower it to
|          fulfill its proposed charter, including the power to
|          form such subcommittees as are provided by parliamentary
|          authority.
|
|             [signature block of list chair goes here]
|
|       [If an existing committee:]
|
|          As chair of the [name goes here] TC, I hereby request
|          that the Board of Directors recertify the TC and empower
|          it to fulfill its proposed charter, including the power
|          to form such subcommittees as are provided by
|          parliamentary authority.

"recertify" has no meaning here.

|             [signature block of TC chair goes here]
|    ==============================================================
|
| 5. The board then considers a resolution creating the new
|    committee or recertifying the existing one.
|
|    ==============================================================
|    FORM OF RESOLUTION FOR CREATION OR RECERTIFICATION OF AN OASIS
|    TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
|
|    Resolution of the Board
|
|       [If a new committee:]
|
|          Be it resolved, that the OASIS [name of TC] be created
|          with [name] as its chair and that the OASIS members
|          listed in the message copied below be appointed its
|          voting members.
|
|       [If an existing committee:]
|
|          Be it resolved, that the OASIS [name of TC] be
|          recertified with [name] as its chair and that the OASIS
|          members listed in the message copied below be appointed
|          its voting members.
|
|       [Then continue:]
|
|       Be it further resolved, that the [name of TC] be empowered
|       to fulfill its charter stated below, including the power to
|       form such subcommittees as are provided by parliamentary
|       authority.
|
|    Record of Vote on the Resolution of the Board
|
|       Date: [date goes here]
|       Voting to approve the resolution: [names go here]
|       Voting against the resolution: [names go here]
|       Abstaining:  [names go here]
|
|       Certified by [name of Secretary of OASIS] for the Board of
|       Directors.
|
|    [Copy of request from list or committee chair, including
|    background statement and list of nominees, is copied in here.]

regards, Terry