Subject: Re: Possible interim process fix - Existing Committees

Tommie wrote:
| Terry wrote:
| >Jon wrote:
| >|
| >|    b. In the case of existing committees, the chair posts a
| >|       notice with an explanatory preface like the one shown here.
| >
| >Actually, you don't need this point, because all existing groups
| >will be "new committees" wrt process.
| >

| While it may be technically true according to this new process that there
| are no existing committees there certainly are a lot of people doing a lot
| of work who believe that they are members of committees.  It seems to me
| that we must recognize these efforts, not matter how procedurally soft they
| may be.
|
| Starting any new activity by alienating many of the hard working people you
| want to participate is dumb; and I hope it is unnecessary.

Certainly it is unnecessary.  They will be dismayed to learn that OASIS
didn't follow its own procedure, but they need not be alienated by
learning of the problem.

There's nothing wrong with the work products of the existing
noncommittees.

But if we are not now going to follow our process as we understand
it, we're wasting our time.  There are in fact no existing committees.
All new committees should be treated to the same process because they
all have the same status.  If chairs want to add something on the
side, fine.

regards, Terry