Subject: Re: PAC: Suggested language for CS 6

Jon wrote:
>Let's assume for purposes of discussion that the year begins
>January 1.  Let's pretend that I'm the chair of a TC that meets
>the first week of January and votes to send a specification to
>OASIS for standardization.  Then the next quarterly package goes
>out March 1, the call for a vote goes out July 1, and the vote on
>our proposed standard ends September 30.  That's almost nine
>months.

Who said that people have a quarter to vote once they receive their
packets?  Perhaps ballots must be returned a month after they are called.
That way the TC could have time to get the results of the vote, make
modifications, and have a revised version to announce the next quarter. I
think it is important that people have a reasonable amount of time (a
quarter) to form an opinion on a proposed spec, but see no reason that they
need that time twice.

So, the year begins Jan 1.  The TC votes to submit a spec for
standardization.  The packet announcing the draft standard goes out March
1.  The ballot goes out July 1, with ballots due August 1.   August 15,
either they are told one of three things:
1) they are the proud parents an OASIS Standard;
2) fewer than 10% of membership who submitted negative votes with reasons
enclosed and they have the choice to go for OASIS Standard to pull for
revision; or
3) more than 10% of the membership voted no, here are the comments, go back
to work.

If 2) or 3) they still have time to get a revision into the September packet.

-- Tommie

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@mulberrytech.com