Subject: Re: PAC: Suggested language for CS 6

[btusdin@mulberrytech.com:]

| Who said that people have a quarter to vote once they receive
| their packets?  Perhaps ballots must be returned a month after
| they are called.  That way the TC could have time to get the
| results of the vote, make modifications, and have a revised
| version to announce the next quarter. I think it is important that
| people have a reasonable amount of time (a quarter) to form an
| opinion on a proposed spec, but see no reason that they need that
| time twice.

I can buy this.  Anyone disagree?

| So, the year begins Jan 1.  The TC votes to submit a spec for
| standardization.  The packet announcing the draft standard goes out March
| 1.  The ballot goes out July 1, with ballots due August 1.   August 15,
| either they are told one of three things:
|
| 1) they are the proud parents an OASIS Standard;
|
| 2) fewer than 10% of membership who submitted negative votes with
| reasons enclosed and they have the choice to go for OASIS Standard
| to pull for revision; or
|
| 3) more than 10% of the membership voted no, here are the
| comments, go back to work.
|
| If 2) or 3) they still have time to get a revision into the
| September packet.

In light of the fact that the approach we're taking depends
completely on thorough public review and relies on the assumption
that interested parties will defend their interests if provided
access to the process, I now believe that this is a reasonable
amount of time in the worst case.  Any disagreement here?

Jon