Subject: PAC: Vote: CS 6 (except IPR)

To: workprocess@lists.oasis-open.org

Since I need to put this in the draft of the bylaws I promised to
get out, and since (except for the IPR issue) the language I sent
out last Sunday seems to be uncontroversial, I'm going to call the
question on this part while we continue the IPR discussion
separately.  If we can agree on an additional IPR clause, I'll add
that in later.

Please vote on this as soon as possible by sending mail to the
list.  I will stop taking votes Wednesday evening, but I hope that
we can get a majority well before then.

Jon

CS 6. Standards and Languages

OASIS TCs shall be authorized to work in any language they choose.
The language of reference for a TC shall be declared at the same
time its meeting schedule is first proposed.  Formal actions of
TCs shall be governed by the same rules regardless of the language
in which the work is taking place.  OASIS shall be responsible for
certifying compliance with procedural and technical criteria.

A TC that has approved and published a committee specification may
simultaneously or at some later time recommend that the
specification be made an OASIS standard.  Upon resolution of the
TC to move the specification forward, its chair shall submit the
following items to OASIS:

   1. A formal specification that is a valid member of its type.

   2. Appropriate documentation for the specification, written in
      the language of reference.

   3. A clear English-language summary of the specification.

   4. Certification by at least three OASIS member organizations
      that they are successfully using the specification.

   5. An account of votes and comments received in any earlier
      attempts to standardize substantially the same
      specification, together with the originating TC's response
      to each comment.

   6. A pointer to the publicly visible comments archive for the
      originating TC.

   [unresolved issue to be decided in Paris: IPR policy for the
   standards process; Terry Allen has said that he intends to
   propose IETF rules]

Thirty days shall be allowed for administrative processing of a
proposed standard.  The proposal shall be submitted to the OASIS
membership for review at the beginning of the calendar quarter
immediately following the 30 days allocated for administrative
review.  At the beginning of the next calendar quarter, the
proposal shall be submitted to the voting members of OASIS, who
shall have thirty days to return a ballot approving or
disapproving the proposal.

   ["thirty days" has been substituted for an occurrence of "one
   month" in this paragraph per comment from Eduardo.]

The TC that originated the specification may, by formal
resolution, withdraw the proposed specification at any point after
it is submitted to OASIS for administrative processing and before
the end of the voting period.

In votes upon proposed OASIS standards, every OASIS member
organization shall be entitled to cast one vote.  Individual
members (whether the membership is transferable or
non-transferable) shall not be entitled to vote in the approval of
OASIS standards.  [new language:] Votes shall be cast by sending
electronic mail to a publicly archived list created for this
purpose.  Votes may be changed up until the end of the voting
period.

The results of a vote on a proposed standard shall be provided to
the membership and to the TC no later than one week following the
close of the voting period.

If at the end of the voting period at least 10 percent of the
voting membership has voted to approve the proposed standard, then

a. If no votes have been cast to disapprove the proposed standard,
   it shall become an OASIS standard immediately following the end
   of the voting period.

b. If negative votes amounting to less than 10 percent of the
   voting membership have been cast, the negative votes and
   accompanying comments, if any, shall be forwarded to the
   originating TC for consideration.  After notification of the
   results, the TC shall have 30 days to take one of the following
   actions by formal resolution:

   1. direct OASIS to approve the specification as submitted
      despite the negative votes, or

   2. withdraw the submission entirely, or

   3. submit an amended specification, in which case the amended
      submission shall be considered as if it were a new
      submission, except that information regarding previous votes
      and any disposition of comments received in previous votes
      shall accompany the amended submission.

If at the end of the voting period less than 10 percent of the
voting membership has voted to approve the proposed standard, or
if at the end of the voting period 10 percent or more of the
voting membership has voted to disapprove the proposed standard,
or if the orginating TC upon notification of negative votes takes
no formal action within the 30 days allocated for consideration of
the results, then the specification shall not become an OASIS
standard.  This shall not prevent the same or similar
specification from being submitted again.