Subject: Re: getting the ER TC going

Karl Best wrote:

> On 10/12 I sent out a call for participation. In it I said:
>
> "To become a member of this new TC you should notify Lauren Wood, the
> committee chair, of your interest, and participate in the first meeting."
>
> So, Lauren, did anyone respond to you, or did they just sign up for the
> list?
>
> I suppose that we could be picky and require a spearate notification to
> become a member, but my feeling is that the TC process is supposed to help,
> rather than hinder, the committee. So perhaps we could say that list signup
> is sufficient, at least this time around. I will be more explicit in
> defining the requirements in future calls for participation.

All who participate at the first meeting are eligible to be voting members of the
TC, whether they have subscribed to the mailing list or not. However, there has
to be a call for participation to the full OASIS membership. Has there been such
call? I don't remember seeing it; all I remember is seeing an announcement
of TC email list, which is not the same.  Quoting from article 14, item 3:
"No later than 15 days following the submission, OASIS TC administration shall [...]
 provide these materials to the membership, with a call for participation and an
 announcement of a first meeting[...]OASIS TC administration shall form two electronic mail lists for
 the TC, namely a general list and a comment list"
What I'm saying is that what I remember seeing is the announcement of the mail lists,
but not an announcement of a first meeting. Was there such an announcement? All
I have in my archives is the following, dated Oct 12:

"OASIS members:

A new OASIS technical committee is being formed. The Entity Resolution TC
has been proposed by Lauren Wood, SoftQuad Software Inc.; Norman Walsh, Sun
Microsystems; Paul Grosso, Arbortext, Inc.; and John Cowan, Reuters Health.
The request for a new TC meets the requirements of the OASIS TC process, and
is attached below. The purpose and goals of the committee are below.

To become a member of this new TC you should notify Lauren Wood, the
committee chair, of your interest, and participate in the first meeting. For
the procedure for joining after the first meeting see the TC process at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.shtml

I have created a mail list, entity-resolution, for the committee
discussions. OASIS members who are interested in participating in this
committee should subscribe to the entity-resolution list by sending a
message to entity-resolution-request@lists.oasis-open.org with the word
"subscribe" as the body of the message."

As you can see, it does not announce the first meeting. Nor was there a separate
announcement of such.

I think it would be appropriate to refrain from calling your current meetings official;
instead, make an official announcement and follow the rules. Continue with the telcons
but don't call the people who participate in them TC members, not until the first
real meeting...

Wish I'd had the time to answer this thread earlier....

Eduardo

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo@eng.Sun.COM
XML Technology Center          |         Phone:  (650) 786-5498