Subject: Re: ratifying the charter?

Karl Best wrote:

> Even though the TC process doesn't require that TC members do so, I would
> like to be able to tell prospective TC participants that "the items
> submitted to OASIS for the creation of the TC (i.e. committee name,
> statement of purpose, list of deliverables, schedule, name of chair, etc.)
> should all be ratified by TC members at the first meeting."
>
> Should such ratification be suggested or even required, or should members be
> committed to what was proposed when the TC was created? e.g. if people want
> to join the TC because of the topic of discussion, but don't agree with the
> details of the charter, should they be required to go with what was
> proposed?
>
> In other words, is the charter made law by default or by ratification?

I'd say that the charter, purpose, deliverables, etc. that the TC starts
working with can be amended and/or subverted at any time by vote
of the TC members, can't it?

In other words, if someone joins a TC and decides s/he does not like
its purpose, s/he can leave it or can try to convince enough
other members to change it by vote. A TC should be pretty autonomous,
and guided by its own members...

Eduardo

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo@eng.Sun.COM
XML Technology Center          |         Phone:  (650) 786-5498