Subject: RE: TC visibility section question

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, B. Tommie Usdin wrote:

> >people, OASIS members who are not TC members. They could just read the
> >archives like everyone else.
>
> I think there is another alternative:  allow any OASIS member to
> subscribe to the list, and TELL THEM that unless they are TC members
> they are not allowed to post to the list.  Then, if they break that
> rule (possibly if they break the rule several times) unsubscribe
> them.  There is nothing in the by-laws that says that all rules must
> be mechanically enforced; just there are these three categories of
> people.

I wasn't brave enough to propose this (or to "second" Terry's similar
proposal), but I suggested something like this to Karl in offline mail:

The committee process does not obligate us to provide a technical
solution which (technically) prevents non-TC-members from posting
to a discussion list.  It only proscribes such action by the
non-member.  We can honor the process (and alleviate unnecessary
burden from Karl) by asking P*s to behave correctly.  The TC
chairs have a means of dealing with ill-mannered participants, as
I recall.

Robin Cover