Subject: RE: TC visibility section question

Karl wrote:

>We've got three classes of people: TC members who can post and receive;
>OASIS members who are not TC members, who can receive but not post; and
>non-OASIS members who can only view archives and post comments. To serve
>these three classes we have only two lists, discussion and comment.
>
>While it is technically possible to accomodate the first two sets of people
>with the single discussion list (I have to designate which subscribers are
>allowed to post), this requires additional handwork to maintain.
>
>The alternative, I guess, is to have three lists for each TC, which may not
>be much better. Another alternative is to eliminate the second class of
>people, OASIS members who are not TC members. They could just read the
>archives like everyone else.

I think there is another alternative:  allow any OASIS member to
subscribe to the list, and TELL THEM that unless they are TC members
they are not allowed to post to the list.  Then, if they break that
rule (possibly if they break the rule several times) unsubscribe
them.  There is nothing in the by-laws that says that all rules must
be mechanically enforced; just there are these three categories of
people.

-- Tommie
B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@mulberrytech.com