Subject: Minutes of the OASIS PAC meeting 2001.06.13

MINUTES OF THE OASIS PROCESS ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING 2001.06.13

Voting Members Present

   Karl Best
   Jon Bosak (chair)
   Robin Cover
   Eduardo Gutentag
   Ken Holman
   Debbie Lapeyre
   Tommie Usdin
   Lauren Wood

Proceedings

   Debbie Lapeyre was unable to act as secretary this meeting, so
   the chair took notes and has prepared these minutes.

   We proceeded with the plan decided on in meetings held
   2001.04.18 and 2001.05.30 to consider a number of issues
   related to the existing OASIS TC process before ending this
   phase of the process development work.  In this meeting, we got
   about half way through an issues list provided by Karl Best.
   In the summary below, the numbers refer to the issue numbers in
   Karl's list.

   We will meet again on Wednesday, 2001.06.27, from 11 a.m. to 1
   p.m. California time to consider the remaining issues.

   In addition to the recommendations listed below, the PAC hereby
   requests the OASIS board of directors (1) to note that the PAC
   intends to submit all of our proposed amendations to the
   current OASIS TC process for consideration by the board at the
   board meeting scheduled for 2 August 2001, and (2) to schedule
   a special meeting or conference call after formation of the new
   board following the annual board elections in order that the
   PAC may present the plan arrived at between the PAC and the TAC
   regarding the direction to be taken in further development of
   the OASIS technical committee process.  We propose a phone
   conference from 11 a.m. from 1 p.m. California time 22 August
   2001 for this meeting.

Jon

DISPOSITION OF ISSUES, 2001.06.13

Issue 1a: Identification of related work at time of TC Formation

   Discussion: We cannot require proposers of TCs to know of the
   existence of similar initiatives.

   Resolution: We assume that at some point OASIS will provide
   informal, non-normative guidelines for the conduct of TCs, and
   we agree that those guidelines should say that a TC's web
   presence should include the identification of similar or
   related activities where such activities are known to the
   participants.

   Editorial note: Here, as elsewhere, the process assumes that
   public oversight of the process will reveal the existence of
   competing or overlapping efforts.

Issue 1b: Conformance testing

   Resolution: No action needed here.

Issue 2: Changes to TC charters after formation

   Discussion: There are no TC charters per se.  The process says
   that a submission for the creation of a TC must contain these
   two items, among others:

    - Statement of purpose, which must be germane to the mission
      of OASIS.

    - List of deliverables, with projected dates.

    - The meeting schedule for the year following the formation of
      the TC, or until the projected date of the final
      deliverable, whichever comes first.

   The section covering changes to these items reads as follows:

     12. TC Revision

	 A TC can clarify its statement of purpose; revise its
	 deliverables; and change its meeting schedule.  Such
	 changes shall be reported on the TC announcement list,
	 and any revisable publicly visible description (e.g., Web
	 page) promulgated by the TC shall be updated to reflect
	 such changes.

   The fact we have to deal with is that TCs are making changes as
   authorized in Section 12 quoted above without making the
   required announcements.

   Resolution: Karl should notify groups that have been making
   changes to their purpose or deliverables under Section 12 that
   they need to submit notice of such changes to Karl for
   publication on the TC announcement list.

Issue 3: Require founding members of a TC to come from different
companies.

   Discussion: This was exhaustively considered when we designed
   the process.  There are basically two ways to regard the
   members of TCs: as company representatives or as individual
   experts.  The OASIS TC process follows ISO and many other
   formal standards bodies in considering the participants of
   technical committees to be individual experts rather than
   representatives of particular organizations.  The process
   relies upon this basic principle in handling logistical
   problems, such as the apparatus that would otherwise be
   required to certify particular people as representatives of
   different companies and to designate alternates.  It also
   handles the case where someone switches jobs; they can almost
   always deal with this by securing an individual membership at
   $250, which due to the fact that there is no company
   affiliation is enough to handle almost all employment
   transition problems.  See more on this part under Issue 6.

   Resolution: No action needed.

Issue 4: Must be a PEOTCP at time of notice of intent to join TC

   Discussion:  We agree with Karl:

      This is to solve an administrative problem: people are
      signing up for the TC when they are not yet members;
      additional time is required for additional tracking to make
      sure that they obtain OASIS membership before the first
      meeting. The current language does not promote scalability.

   Resolution: We recommend that the first paragraph of Article 14
   Section 4 be amended to add "and must be eligible for TC
   participation at the time they register." after "their
   intention to attend the meeting."

      Before amendment:

         4. First Meeting of a TC

	    The first meeting of a TC shall occur no less than 30
	    days after the announcement of its formation in the
	    case of a telephone meeting and no less than 45 days
	    after the announcement of its formation in the case of
	    a face-to-face meeting.  Persons intending to
	    participate in the first meeting must register to
	    attend no later than 15 days prior to the event by
	    notifying the person named as chair of the new TC of
	    their intention to attend the meeting.  Every PEOTCP
	    present at the first meeting of a TC shall be
	    initially a voting member of the TC.

      After amendment:

         4. First Meeting of a TC

	    The first meeting of a TC shall occur no less than 30
	    days after the announcement of its formation in the
	    case of a telephone meeting and no less than 45 days
	    after the announcement of its formation in the case of
	    a face-to-face meeting.  Persons intending to
	    participate in the first meeting must register to
	    attend no later than 15 days prior to the event by
	    notifying the person named as chair of the new TC of
	    their intention to attend the meeting and must be
	    eligible for TC participation at the time they
	    register.  Every PEOTCP present at the first meeting
	    of a TC shall be initially a voting member of the TC.

Issue 5. Bug in the two-out-of-three rule

   The current language (which, it should be remembered, was taken
   from ANSI), reads:

      a. A member shall be warned by mail from the chair of the TC
	 upon failure to attend two out of every three successive
	 meetings of the TC.  Membership shall be terminated if
	 the member fails to attend the next meeting following
	 transmittal of the warning.

   For a description of the problem, see Eve's message to this
   list under the heading "Delicate subject: changing the
   attendance requirements" and dated Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:40:16
   -0500:

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/workprocess/200102/msg00002.html

   Discussion: Mechanically, it's not the intent of the rule
   that's the problem, it's the warning mechanism.  Warnings
   shouldn't reset the clock.

   But beyond the mechanics is the more subtle management problem
   of how a chair handles one of two very different cases.
   Sometimes the problem is that a few very useful members are
   also useful members of other committees and simply cannot
   attend all of the meetings.  In this case, a chair needs to be
   able to support the continuing participation of such members.
   But in some other cases, the problem is that a person who
   wishes to be perceived as a member is not, in fact, willing to
   contribute to the work.  The TC process is specifically
   designed to remove persons in the second category from voting
   membership in the TC.  The trick is how to enable the
   completely automatic removal of a useless member while
   permitting the chair (with the tacit consent of the TC) to
   allow a useful member to break the rule occasionally.

   Resolution: We recommend that the first paragraph of Article 14
   Section 6 be amended as follows:

      1. Insert "their first" into the first sentence of Section 6
	 so that it reads:

	 a. A member shall be warned by mail from the chair of the
	    TC upon their first failure to attend two out of every
	    three successive meetings of the TC.

      2. Add "or if the member consistently fails to attend two
	 out of every three meetings" to the second sentence of
	 the same paragraph so that it reads:

	    Membership shall be terminated if the member fails to
	    attend the next meeting following transmittal of the
	    warning or if the member consistently fails to attend
	    two out of every three meetings.

Issue 6: Retention of membership upon change of employment

   Discussion: Since TC members are individual experts whose
   company affiliation is irrelevant to their membership in the
   TC, most cases of this kind can be handled very
   straightforwardly if the member obtains an individual
   membership ($250) before leaving an OASIS member employer.  But
   if the member has already accepted employment with another
   OASIS organization, this will be a waste of money.  And there
   is the increasingly frequent case where a member's employment
   ceases without notice.  We need to patch over the crack here
   with a grace period.

   Resolution: We recommend that Article 14 Section 5 of the TC
   process be amended by adding this new paragraph at the end of
   the section:

      Persons who lose PEOTCP status for reasons including, but
      not limited to, change of employment, shall have a further
      14 days of TC membership in which to request a leave of
      absence or re-establish eligibility.

Issue 7: Participation of prospective members as observers

   Background: The first paragraph of Art. 14 Section 5 says:

      5. TC Membership

	 A PEOTCP shall become a prospective member of an existing
	 TC by sending by mail notice of intention to participate
	 to the chair of the TC.  Prospective membership shall
	 begin seven days after this notice is received.  A
	 prospective member may attend face-to-face meetings as an
	 observer.  A prospective member may attend phone meetings
	 as an observer at the discretion of the chair.

   The suggestion is:

      In section 5 add the requirement that a prospective TC
      member participate in the TC as an observer according to the
      existing "two out of three" attendance rules during the
      probationary period. This would make sure that the new
      member is committed and educated before being allowed to
      vote.

   Discussion: Everyone agrees that ideally it would be best to
   require prospective members (who are serving out the 60 days or
   two meetings before they can become members of a particular TC
   after it's been started) to come up to speed somehow on the
   committee into the midst of whose deliberations they are
   entering.  But when we designed the process, we discovered that
   there are several serious problems with this idea:

      1. The TC may be large already, and the prospective member
	 may not be such as the chair judges likely to actually
	 participate after the waiting period.

      2. Under the basic rule governing the rights of an assembly
	 with regard to observers, prospective members, as
	 observers, are always subject to removal from the meeting
	 if the members decide to meet in executive session.
	 While certainly not impossible to handle, the situations
	 that could arise from this in the case of prospective
	 members attending as observers might be awkward.

      3. Taking away the ability of the chair to exclude
	 prospective members from phone meetings could prove
	 either administratively unmanageable for the chair or
	 prohibitively expensive for the company sponsoring the
	 calls in the case where a large number of members
	 suddenly decided that they wanted to be in on the call.
	 At the very least, sponsors should have advance notice of
	 a new requirement that they support a stampede of new
	 members.

      4. There is nothing in the existing process that prevents
	 prospective members from reading the archives and coming
	 up to speed that way.

   Resolution: No action needed.

Issue 8: Invited experts

   Discussion: Nonvoting invited experts are already allowed by
   the native ability of any deliberative body to invite
   observers.  (Editorial note: And in my opinion, there's nothing
   to prevent any committee from setting up a special category of
   observers that they agree to call "invited experts" and
   adopting this as a standing rule.  In fact, I proposed a
   mechanism for an "invited observer" status to be adopted by a
   TC in the CBL proposal I submitted in February of this year.)
   So the only reason we might want to change the process is to
   allow certain people to become voting members of a TC without
   requiring them or their organizations to pay OASIS dues.  Since
   the TC process (definition of a PEOTCP, Art. 14 Sect. 1)
   already allows the board to designate any person or group as
   eligible to participate without paying dues, the only effective
   change here would allow a TC to extend individual OASIS
   membership on an ad-hoc basis.  We don't think TCs should be
   allowed to do this.

   Resolution: The guidelines (yet to be written) should point to
   the section in Robert's on "Executive Session" and the rules
   there pertaining to observers.

Issue 9: TCs with too few members

   Discussion: There's nothing in Robert's to prevent a committee
   from consisting of just one or two people (and indeed, such a
   committee can be a very useful thing, allowing an issue, for
   example, to be handled by a Motion to Commit and then
   designating just one trusted person, as chair and only member
   of the committee, to research something and come back with a
   recommendation).  But while we think that this is fine for
   subcommittees of a TC, we don't like the idea of an OASIS
   Technical Committee itself having fewer members than the three
   we require to start it in the first place.  The least
   disruptive way we can think of to effect this change is to
   prevent a group that falls below three members from conducting
   business.  The tactic adopted below utilizes the annual garbage
   collection of dead groups that's in the existing process.

   Resolution: We recommend that Art. 14 Section 11 of the TC
   process be amended by adding a third paragraph, so that the
   section in its entirety reads as follows:

     11. TC Meetings

      "TC meeting" shall be construed to include telephone
      conferences and video conferences as well as face-to-face
      meetings.

      Any TC that fails to conduct at least one meeting during a
      calendar year shall cease to exist at the beginning of the
      calendar year immediately following.

      [new paragraph:]

      Any TC whose voting membership falls below three members
      shall cease to exist.

   Discussion: the current TC process allows for the formation of
   short-term "discussion lists" (maximum life 90 days) for the
   purpose of discussing the formation of a TC.  Such discussion
   lists are visible to the general public.  The question is
   whether they should also be publicly subscribable.  While the
   advisability of extending what is essentially a member benefit
   to nonmembers is debatable, the fact that the current list
   machinery will not support the automatic exclusion of
   non-PEOTCPs gives this question real weight: it means that any
   list that's not subscribable by everyone requires new members
   to be approved manually by the chair or by OASIS
   administration.  There is nothing we can do about this overhead
   in the case of TC lists, but we can at least step around this
   in the case of discussion lists by just allowing public
   subscription.  While the motivation here is mainly practical
   (our recommendation can be effected by simply setting a switch
   in the mail server interface), allowing the public to subscribe
   could also have the advantage of promoting new OASIS
   memberships among persons who become engaged in the initial
   discussion phase and want to follow it into TC work.

   Resolution: We recommend that the first paragraph of Art. 14
   Section 2 be amended to add the words "publicly subscribable"
   before "discussion list."

      Before amendment:

         2. TC Discussion Lists

	    Any group of at least three PEOTCPs shall be
	    authorized to begin a discussion list for the purpose
	    of forming a TC by submitting to OASIS TC
	    administration the following items: [...]

      After amendment:

         2. TC Discussion Lists

	    Any group of at least three PEOTCPs shall be
	    authorized to begin a publicly subscribable discussion
	    list for the purpose of forming a TC by submitting to
	    OASIS TC administration the following items: [...]

(Issues 11-20 will be take up at the PAC meeting scheduled for
2001.06.27.)