Subject: Delicate subject: changing the attendance requirements

My TC is huge (nearly 80 people), and a lot of the work is getting done at
subcommittee meetings.  I'd like to find a way to ease the good-standing
penalties on members who are very active on subgroups, and who occasionally
can't make the whole-TC meetings because they're traveling or
whatever.  However, I don't want to endanger quorum at the whole-TC meetings.

As I understand it, the TC can adopt a standing rule that overrides the
OASIS rules (and RROR), though the requirements for passage of such motion
are slightly higher than for regular motions; adopting a rule easing
attendance requirements would fall into this category.  Do people think
it's a good idea to mess with the attendance requirements at all?

If so, what might be a suitably mild revision?  I'm thinking merely of a
small revision to paragraph 6(a).  It currently reads:

"A member shall be warned by mail from the chair of the TC upon failure to
attend two out of every three successive meetings of the TC. Membership
shall be terminated if the member fails to attend the next meeting
following transmittal of the warning."

It could read:

"A member shall be warned by mail from the chair of the TC upon failure to
attend two out of every three successive meetings of the TC. If the member
has not attended two out of three meetings of the subcommittees on which
the member sits, or if the member does not sit on any subcommittees,
membership shall be terminated if the member fails to attend the next
committee meeting following transmittal of the warning.  If the member sits
on one or more subcommittees and has attended two out of three meetings of
those subcommittees, membership shall be terminated if the member fails to
attend one of the next two committee meetings following transmittal of the
warning."

What say you all?

	Eve
--
Eve Maler                                          +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    eve.maler @ east.sun.com