Subject: RE: [ws-caf] Mt Everest and WS-CF

Hi Peter,

> I believe the changes in New Orleans mean that a context is
> monolithic - a context covering security+transactions is
> defined as such and has no derivation or containment of the
> security and transactions contexts (though obviously it might
> well incorporate some of the same elements in its xsd:any element.

Oh. I rather thought that a security context and a transaction context
would be totally different entities, albiet that they would inherit the
basic context structure from WS-Context.

> So what features of WS-Context are vital to your use that
> save you writing them in the specification of your particular
> use of ws-context ?

I need to be able to to together a group of operations across a number
of services. It's essentially a distributed session. Programmatically, I
don't need anything more than a unique ID for this, but I do need for
the context structure to be standardised because some of the services I
use won't be mine.

> Thought experiment: You must have some definition of what
> your context-type URI means.

Yes.

> You probably have some types
> that go in the xsd:any element.

No, but I wouldn't rule it out.

> You possibly have some
> operations that are implemented by the same entity as
> supports the ContextService and ContextManager.

Not in this case.

> Suppose you defined the types that go in the xsd:any as soap
> headers in their own right. You can use the context-type URI
> as the namespace uri.

That's not the semantic I'm after. I want to be able to tie together
operations in an activity, and I want to be able to know when that
activity is over (in some cases).

All I'm asking for is a standardised vanilla context that my application
services can use. I think there is value in that - there is for my work.

[snip]

> Does your current specification put constraints on the
> WS-Context implmentation ? Would it work with an independent
> WS-Context implementation ? (are the identifiers truly
> opaque, for example)

I don't work on specifications any more Peter :-) I changed jobs a while
back...

My current work places no additional constraints on WS-Context. It would
work with anyone's WS-Context implementation.

Jim
--
http://jim.webber.name